[net.micro.mac] Comments on SpaceFlight...

harrow@exodus.DEC (Jeff Harrow NCSE TWO/E92 DTN=247-3134) (10/07/85)

I just downloaded SpaceFlight from the net, and was immediately
impressed with the graphics and apparent semi-real time perspective as
your speed increased.  However, the documentation left me at a loss on
how to interpret the two "numbers" presented in the center of the
control panel, the number which appeared next to a star as you approach
it, or the undefined control which seems to Quit the application.

I really liked the effect, but quickly grew tired of just flying around,
bumping up to a star, and finding nothing interesting to do once I got
there.  I think that there is some significant potential to this well
done work, but if it's going to be anything more than a VERY impressive
demonstration, it needs some carefully thought out "plot."

However, NICE WORK!

Jeff Harrow

Work address:
ARPAnet:	HARROW%EXODUS.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
Usenet:		{allegra,Shasta,decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-exodus!harrow
Easynet:	EXODUS::HARROW
Telephone:	(617)858-3134
USPS:		Digital Equipment Corp.
		Mail stop: TWO/E92
		1925 Andover St.
		Tewksbury, MA  01876

wbell@utcs.uucp (Warren Bell) (10/08/85)

In article <724@decwrl.UUCP> harrow@exodus.DEC (Jeff Harrow NCSE TWO/E92 DTN=247-3134) writes:
>I just downloaded SpaceFlight from the net, and was immediately
>impressed with the graphics and apparent semi-real time perspective as
>your speed increased.  However, the documentation left me at a loss on
>how to interpret the two "numbers" presented in the center of the
>control panel, the number which appeared next to a star as you approach
>it, or the undefined control which seems to Quit the application.
>
>I really liked the effect, but quickly grew tired of just flying around,
>bumping up to a star, and finding nothing interesting to do once I got
>there.  I think that there is some significant potential to this well
>done work, but if it's going to be anything more than a VERY impressive
>demonstration, it needs some carefully thought out "plot."
>

>However, NICE WORK!
>
>Jeff Harrow
>
>ARPAnet:	HARROW%EXODUS.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
>Usenet:		{allegra,Shasta,decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-exodus!harrow
>Easynet:	EXODUS::HARROW
>Telephone:	(617)858-3134

I think it could have great potential, perhaps as a multi-player space-war-
type game, using AppleTalk (like MazeWars does). This would be something
along the lines of that old classic, DECWAR.

(No, I don't think I could write something like this myself...)
--
----
University of Toronto Computing Services	       Warren Bell

BITNET: wbell at utoronto

sbm@arthur (Steven B. Munson) (10/09/85)

In article <724@decwrl.UUCP>,
harrow@exodus.DEC (Jeff Harrow NCSE TWO/E92 DTN=247-3134) writes:
> ...  However, the documentation left me at a loss on
> how to interpret the two "numbers" presented in the center of the
> control panel, the number which appeared next to a star as you approach
> it, or the undefined control which seems to Quit the application.
> it needs some carefully thought out "plot."

     The upper number is the distance to the nearest object, in various
units, depending on how far away it is.  The comma-separated pair is the
mouse position (not very useful, unless you are writing the program).  I am
not sure about the number next to the star, but the undefined control with
the 'Q' on it that seems to quit the application is the Quit control.  It
quits the application.  I am sure you will agree that the controls over all
are very well done, and the rough edges will probably be smoother in the
next version.  I particularly like the joysticks.  Other people writing
games (or even useful programs?) for the Mac could benefit from looking at
this program.

     I have had a lot of fun with this program, too, and I don't think it
necessarily needs a plot.  I certainly don't want it to degenerate into a
game where you have to shoot down the Evil Empire.  Did you notice that
there are planets around those stars?  I had a lot of fun flying around the
solar system and seeing how far Jupiter was from Earth at various times of
the year.  I am sure there will be more than enough to keep my interest
when the version that allows orbiting of planets and seeing their surface
features comes out.  I agree that the author, Robert Munafo, deserves a
round of applause.

					Steve Munson
					sbm@Purdue.EDU
					sbm@Purdue.CSNET