[net.micro.mac] Which one is the Serial Chip

sean@oddjob.UUCP (Sean Casey) (10/09/85)

Would someone please tell me which chip in the mac handles
serial i/o? Mine got zapped by lightning and I'm thinking
about replacing it myself. Thanks.

Sean Casey	...ihnp4!oddjob!sean

bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (10/09/85)

In article <989@oddjob.UUCP> sean@oddjob.UUCP (Sean Casey) writes:
>Would someone please tell me which chip in the mac handles
>serial i/o? Mine got zapped by lightning and I'm thinking
>about replacing it myself. Thanks.

The Zilog Z8530 SCC is the one you want.  Only pricing I could find was
$35. from Advanced Computer Products (800)854-8230; however, I'm quite
sure this is NOT the best you can do.  Can anyone else point at a
better source? (Checked listings for JDR and DoKay already, folks).

						Bob Halloran
						Sr MTS, Perkin-Elmer DSG
UUCP: {decvax, ucbvax, most Action Central}!vax135\
		       	 {topaz, pesnta, princeton}!petsd!pedsgd!bobh
ARPA: petsd!pedsgd!bobh@topaz
USPS: 106 Apple St M/S 305, Tinton Falls NJ 07724
DDD: (201) 758-7000
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own.
Quote: "It's Reagan's fault.  Everything's Reagan's fault.  Floods...
   volcanoes...  herpes... Reagan's fault." -- Editor Overbeek, Bloom Beacon