[net.micro.mac] Books on C. Any reconmendations?

schuh@geowhiz.UUCP (David Schuh) (10/12/85)

Hi folks;
    Can anyone recomend a Good C book.  Im not as familiar with
    C as id like, I need some coaching and examples.  Ideally I'd
    like a book kind of like a reference manual and kind of like
    a non trivial tutorial, one that would make a
    good companion to the K&R.  I went to the bookstore and
    found a bunch of books but at 20 bucks a crack I dont really
    whant to make a mistake.  Any help would be greatly
    appreciated.

thanks
dave
!uwvax!geowhiz/schuh

grady@ucbvax.ARPA (Steven Grady) (10/13/85)

In article <250@geowhiz.UUCP> schuh@geowhiz.UUCP (David Schuh) writes:
>Hi folks;
>    Can anyone recomend a Good C book.  Im not as familiar with
>    C as id like, I need some coaching and examples.  Ideally I'd
>    like a book kind of like a reference manual and kind of like
>    a non trivial tutorial, one that would make a
>    good companion to the K&R.  I went to the bookstore and
>    found a bunch of books but at 20 bucks a crack I dont really
>    whant to make a mistake.  Any help would be greatly
>    appreciated.
>
>thanks
>dave
>!uwvax!geowhiz/schuh

A book I found quite useful when I was learning C is
Programming In C
by Stephen G. Kochan
published by Hayden
It teaches C in an intersting way, without being too difficult
for beginners, nor too simple-minded for people familiar with
computers.. It has additional sections on working with larger
programs, common programming mistakes, the UNIX C library,
lint, among others..

	Steven

dwyer@inmet.UUCP (10/14/85)

>    Can anyone recomend a Good C book.
>
>dave
>!uwvax!geowhiz/schuh

A good intoductory & reference book for people who have
some experience w/HLLs is:

"C: An advanced introduction"
by Narain Gehani (sp?)

In addition to covering most of the K&R material, in a more
readable fashion (personal opinion), this books goes into
more advanced topics, eg. data abstraction, multi-process programming,
the unix interface, etc.

It serves as a good companion resource to K&R.

Hope this helps!!

matt