[net.micro.mac] binhex/macterminal/macget bug?

hamachi@KIM (Gordon Hamachi) (10/17/85)

As I've started to upload large programs to net-sources-mac I've consistently
encountered a problem:  at the very end of uploading a binhex-ed file with
macterminal -0.5 and macget the transfer bombs with error -39, and the upload
file is incomplete.  This is particularly distressing with larger files that
may take a half hour or more to upload at 1200 baud.  I have to do it all over
again!

I discovered that if I use a text editor to add a screenful of carriage
returns to the end of the file then I still get the error message but the
resulting uploaded file xbins correctly.

Could binhex 4.0 be guilty of incorrectly setting the logical EOF on the
upload file?  Is there some macget fix that I missed?

In any event I suggest that:

    1)  If you upload large files using binhex/macterminal/macget you
	should add some carriage returns to the end of the ascii upload
	file produced by binhex before uploading with macterminal and macget.

    2)  Always verify that the upload xbin's correctly before posting a
	program.

--Gordon Hamachi

mkg@lzwi.UUCP (M.GOSNELL) (10/18/85)

In article <8510170947.AA22363@kim>, hamachi@KIM (Gordon Hamachi) writes:
> at the very end of uploading a binhex-ed file with macterminal -0.5 and
> macget the transfer bombs with error -39, and the upload file is incomplete.

I've been binhex'ing stuff and uploading it with macterm to my local BBS
(NJMUG 201-8397802) and usually encounter the -39 error when I upload stuff
that is > 50K.  Reading Gordon's article, I feared that all the good things
I've uploaded were really not so good so I downloaded something that I just
uploaded (and had gotten the -39 error on).  Binhex 4.0 converted it back
with no problems and it was identical to the original file.  Perhaps the old
version of macterm is at fault.
   Marsh Gosnell

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (10/19/85)

In article <8510170947.AA22363@kim> hamachi@KIM (Gordon Hamachi) writes:

>macterminal -0.5 and macget the transfer bombs with error -39, and the upload
>
>Could binhex 4.0 be guilty of incorrectly setting the logical EOF on the
>upload file?  Is there some macget fix that I missed?
>
>In any event I suggest that:
>
>    1)  If you upload large files using binhex/macterminal/macget you
>	should add some carriage returns to the end of the ascii upload
>	file produced by binhex before uploading with macterminal and macget.
>
>    2)  Always verify that the upload xbin's correctly before posting a
>	program.

I might suggest MacTerminal 1.1

--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

"... Don't sue me, I'm just the piano player!...."

brian@ut-sally.UUCP (Brian H. Powell) (10/19/85)

> As I've started to upload large programs to net-sources-mac I've consistently
> encountered a problem:  at the very end of uploading a binhex-ed file with
> macterminal -0.5 and macget the transfer bombs with error -39, and the upload
> file is incomplete.
     I've noticed this too.  If you click ok to the error dialog fairly quickly,
the file will transfer okay.  If you wait too long, the last part (sector?)
won't make it.
     (NOTE:  The dialog always comes up at/near the end of the transfer.)
     I have no proof, but I think it happens to me more when all of the
following are true:
	1)  The file is text (macget -u)
	2)  The file is large
	3)  The baud rate is fast (9600).
     (It almost always happens when I upload a 100K-200K PostScript file
to our Vax or Sequent at 9600 baud for eventual LaserWriting.)  (You want to
be quick with the OK box to avoid having to redo the transfer.)

> I discovered that if I use a text editor to add a screenful of carriage
> returns to the end of the file then I still get the error message but the
> resulting uploaded file xbins correctly.
     That's only because it's losing the CR's, not the important stuff.

> Could binhex 4.0 be guilty of incorrectly setting the logical EOF on the
> upload file?
     I don't think it's a binhex problem.  As I said, it happens to me with
other text files (PostScript files).  I think you're close, though.

> Is there some macget fix that I missed?
     I've applied every macget fix I've seen.  I don't think macget is the
problem either.
************  MY POINT ***************
     Which leads me to the conclusion that it's MacTerminal's fault.  I think
MacTerminal may be screwing up the logical/physical EOF stuff.
     Has anybody done this with pure Mac to Mac transfers?  That would rule
out macget.  If I get a chance, I'll try it myself.
**************************************

> In any event I suggest that:
>
>     1)  If you upload large files using binhex/macterminal/macget you
> 	should add some carriage returns to the end of the ascii upload
> 	file produced by binhex before uploading with macterminal and macget.
     Or be quick with your OK click.

>     2)  Always verify that the upload xbin's correctly before posting a
> 	program.
     ALWAYS!!

> --Gordon Hamachi

Brian H. Powell
		UUCP:	{ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!brian
		ARPA:	brian@sally.UTEXAS.EDU

		 U.S. Mail:		 Southwestern Bell
		P.O. Box 5899		345-0932
		Austin, TX 78763-5899
					 AT&T
					(512) 345-0932

brian@ut-sally.UUCP (Brian H. Powell) (10/20/85)

>>macterminal -0.5 and macget the transfer bombs with error -39, and the upload
> I might suggest MacTerminal 1.1
>
>  Jim Budler
     The problem still exists with MacTerm 1.1.  I suppose I should have
mentioned this in my followup to the original.