[net.micro.mac] Reformatting LISA/Mac XL harddisks

tmb@talcott.UUCP (Thomas M. Breuel) (10/21/85)

I have a MacXL and recently bought a used ProFile (5M).
After two months the disk surface developed a bad block
in some bad place.

My question is: does anyone have a formatter for the
ProFile? Did one come with the workshop or 7/7?

					Thanks,
					Thomas.

					tmb@talcott.ARPA
					seismo!harvard!talcott!tmb

brad@gcc-milo.ARPA (Brad Parker) (10/22/85)

In article <535@talcott.UUCP> tmb@talcott.UUCP (Thomas M. Breuel) writes:
>I have a MacXL and recently bought a used ProFile (5M).
>After two months the disk surface developed a bad block in some bad place.
>My question is: does anyone have a formatter for the ProFile?
>					seismo!harvard!talcott!tmb

I've never seen a formatter in the workshop. To my knowledge, both the
5Mb and 10Mb lisa disks (profile and "widgit") are hard sectored and can
not be formatted (except at the factory). They both do, however go through
some wierd power on sequence which seems to read all of the sector headers
(at least) - I suspect that this will also map out bad sectors. You may
only need to rebuilt your system (i.e. recopy the critical file(s)).

--

J Bradford Parker
seismo!harvard!gcc-bill!brad

"Syntactic sugar causes cancer of the semicolon." - Alan Perlis