From: Jeffrey Shulman (JEFFS) Moderator
Subject: Administrativia - Welcome

Welcome to an experiment in multi-network communication.  I, as your
moderator, will be posting "digests" of collected messages between
ICONtact and net.micro.mac on Usenet.  There will also be a sharing of
Macintosh applications.

Delphi is a commercial timesharing system that also has several SIGS
(Special Interest GroupS).  Once such SIG is ICONtact which is dedicated
to much the same things net.micro.mac is dedicated to on Usenet.

What follows are some of the messages that have recently on the
ICONtact "forum" in the last couple of weeks.  Select messages
from the net.micro.mac will be likewise posted to the ICONtact forums.
For now you can assume that both ICONtact and net.micro.mac are one
big Macintosh user community and messages appearing on one will
appear on the other (unless explicitly requested not to, or have no
real relevance to either audience.)

They also have a database section which contains various public domain
and shareware programs.  From time to time I will be uploading
programs from Delphi onto Usenet.  If you are the authos of anything
posted to net.sources.mac and would like to see your stuff uploaded
to Delphi, send me a note with explicit permission to do so and it will
be done.

I hope both groups enjoy and benefit from this exchange. Enjoy!

							Jeff

Usenet: ...{harvard, seismo, ut-sally, sri-iu, ihnp4!packard}!topaz!shulman
Delphi: JEFFS

------------------------------

2856 17-OCT 00:50 Hardware & Peripherals
     RE: apple hard disk (Re: Msg 2855)
     From: PEABO        To: ALL

While we are on the subject of the Hierarchical File System ... you
may be interested in the following summary of a description given by
Kerry Lynn of the BCS MacTechGrp of the new Standard File Dialog:

The new dialog box shows the volume open on the right, a list of
selectible files and folders on the left, with scroll bars, but also
with small doc and folder icons, like the Finder's, and at the top a
folder icon with the name of the folder that you are looking at.

At the bottom is the filename you are working with (it would seem to
be a combination of a getfile and a putfile dialog box).

If you double-click a folder icon in the list, it descends one level
in the hierarchy, replacing the folder selected at the top, and
showing now the files and folders within the folder you just selected.
If you double-click a file instead, it does its thing on that file.

If you double-click the folder icon at the top, a pop-up menu appears
with a list of folders in the hierarchy, with the root of the
file-system at the bottom.  Evidently the company named Apple knows
that trees have their roots in the ground, not up in the air. <grin>
You can exit back to any folder in the current path by clicking
appropriately.

It would be typical to configure the entire disk as a single volume,
but for compatibility with some older software, it might be necessary
to partition the hard disk into several volumes, using old-style
"flat" directories in one or more volumes.  Rumor has it that the
default action with older programs is to access files in the same
folder as the one containing the program, but there may be a way to
name pseudo-volumes which are attached to folders at various points in
the hierarchy.  No information is available about search paths.

peter

------------------------------

2868 18-OCT 03:23 Hardware & Peripherals
     RE: apple hard disk (Re: Msg 2856)
     From: BRECHER      To: PEABO

In the version of HFS I have worked with (0.26f), you go back up the
tree not by double-clicking but by clicking the folder icon and
dragging down and releasing -- just like a menu-bar menu.  (It
couldn't be as you said, else Apple would be sued by DRI for copying
GEM-style menus).

The November issue of MacTutor will have pictures of the new SFGetFile
dialog box.

------------------------------

2869 18-OCT 17:46 Hardware & Peripherals
     RE: apple hard disk (Re: Msg 2868)
     From: PEABO        To: BRECHER

Yes, you must be right!  The menu bar we saw was a simulation in chalk
on a blackboard, which kinda detracts from the vividness of the
impression. <grin>

It's a shame about all this craziness about "patented" menu schemes
... next thing you know, DRI will cite this pop-up menu as evidence
that Apple is being hypocritical about the menu bar, since the
original Xerox menus are pop-up's.

peter

------------------------------

2870 18-OCT 20:52 Hardware & Peripherals
     RE: apple hard disk (Re: Msg 2869)
     From: JIMH         To: PEABO

Peter - Apples sueing DRI and indirectly Atari which uses GEM as its
operating system is just kind of Atari getting hoisted on its own
petard.  Years ago those of us with apples were outraged by Atari
claiming copywrite over anything that even vaugly resembled a maze
game.  It wasent as though they wanted to sell it to us, no they
wanted to force us to buy atari computers.  But actually I have to
belive that apple has a right to the intelle ctual property of the Mac
interface, they sepent a great deal of money and time developing it.
It does not seem to me that DRI should be able to just copy that
interface blindly (which from the pictures ect that i hav e read it
appears they did).  I realize that apple took certain concepts from
the Xerox Star, however from what i have seen of that computer what
apple took was the concept of icons and windows and developed a whole
new user interface out of those ideas.  For instance it is my
understanding that you could not click on the icons to open a file as
you do on Mac, and the windows i have seen have a hole different look
to them and seem to be used differently.  Anyway just thought i would
get up on my soap box for a while.  I am still chuckling over Atari
perhaps losing their operating system over this.  jim hopper

------------------------------

2866 17-OCT 20:57 Hardware & Peripherals
     Hard Drives
     From: MOUSEKETEER  To: ALL

I have heard various reports that the new Apple Hard Disk would
include or not include new ROM upgrade.  Anyone (ptr?) know. The local
dealer is offering a reasonable discount on advance orders, and would
prefer to work with them, rather than mail, if new chips are involved,
of course.  Having patiently waited out all the other drives, my need
for the hard disk is pressing, and would like to go ahead and
order...but am missing some information.

For anyone interested, I talked to Addison-Wesley today, and current
schedules call for the 3 volume Inside Mac to be "available" (in book
trade, this means a store can order it) Nov. 15.  Price is undecided
at this time, but will likely be high.  If there is enough interest, I
would be willing to coordinate a group buy on Delphi.

Alfonso.

------------------------------

2867 18-OCT 01:24 Hardware & Peripherals
     RE: Hard Drives (Re: Msg 2866)
     From: PEABO        To: MOUSEKETEER

The limited production Apple Hard Disk does not require or include a
ROM ... the Hierarchical File System is RAM resident.  Whether the
production model due to be widely available early next year will be
sold with a ROM upgrade I do not know.

peter

------------------------------

2871 18-OCT 21:13 Hardware & Peripherals
     RE: Hard Drives (Re: Msg 2867)
     From: MOUSEKETEER  To: PEABO

OK, got that.  Local dealer states his first units to be in Mid-Nov.
I ssume these will be the same as the "widely available next year"
things, or should I prudently wait a bit on the "never by serial
number 00001 of ANYTHING" principle?  Cheez!  Even when Apple makes an
announcement these things are unclear! Thanks!

------------------------------

2872 18-OCT 22:56 Hardware & Peripherals
     RE: Hard Drives (Re: Msg 2871)
     From: PEABO        To: MOUSEKETEER

At this point, I am just passing on rumors, so best to wait until your
dealer has one, and you can try it out.  My understanding is that
these November shipments are really so the dealer will have something
to show potential customers, and it will be difficult to coax him into
selling them to you.

peter

------------------------------

2880 19-OCT 22:18 Games and Entertainment
     Game request
     From: JAYTEE       To: ALL

CAN ANYBODY RECOMMEND A SUPER GAME TO ME?  I DON'T WANT TO WASTE MY
MONEY.  I AM LOOKING AT HARRIER STRIKE MISSION, BUT I'M NOT SURE.
ALSO, WHEN IS WIZARDRY COMING OUT?

------------------------------

2883 20-OCT 20:40 Games and Entertainment
     RE: Game request (Re: Msg 2880)
     From: ELEL         To: JAYTEE

er Triplane Simulator is FAR superior to Harrier Strike Mission. I
dont like Harrier at all.--Larry

------------------------------

2894 23-OCT 19:52 Games and Entertainment
     RE: Game request (Re: Msg 2889)
     From: MOUSEKETEER  To: JAYTEE

I assume you mean the new BPI game called Fokker, simulation of the
tri-plane.  MacConnection has just received a shipment, I understand,
after talking to BPI yesterday.  Retail is $59, no idea what
MacConnection is getting for it.  Supposedly, from a BMUG note on the
demo given them last week, it is a very nice simulation.

Alfonso.

------------------------------

2885 21-OCT 20:02 Hardware & Peripherals
     800k drives
     From: RAYSANDERS   To: ALL

I was at my dealer today when they got their shipment of service
spares for the //c 3.5" 800k drives. We opened one up too see what
they looked like, and guess what ? It was mounted in a Macintosh
internal 3.5" mounting frame ! So being curious and not shy, we took a
slightly dis-assembled Mac and put it in. It worked !! At least for
singled sided disks it did, when we tried to initialize a disk the
system crashed. Everything else worked fine, we could read and write
and eject as a single side would. I suspect that there is a change to
the DI package to support the new drive type (SONY MFD-51W). Now for
the best part, THE DRIVE MECHANISM IS HALF HEIGHT !!! There were
mounting holes drilled for only one drive, but there was enough room
to put a second drive under it. The only things required would be the
mounting holes, a second slot in the Mac front, and a second ribbon
jack on the mother board. If any one has any info on the MFD-51W or
better yet a new DI package please let me know. We were running on a
128k with the "B" rom's.  - Ray Sanders

------------------------------

2890 22-OCT 23:53 Telecommunicating
     Data General/Mac Link
     From: TRAINBRAIN   To: ALL

We have a fairly large DG setup at work (about 250 terminals connected
to an MV8000/MV10000) but have just discovered the wonders of the Mac
for illustrations, publishing, and the like.  Does anyone know of a
communications package that will link AOS/VS and Macs?  What we
eventually would like to do is use the existing DG network as the
connection between Macs and Laserwriters.  Seems that Postscript will
serve as a good medium for transmitting and storing images.  Anyone
had any experience along these lines?  If so I would appreciate any
thoughts or comments.

Steve

------------------------------

2892 23-OCT 01:00 Telecommunicating
     RE: Data General/Mac Link (Re: Msg 2890)
     From: PEABO        To: TRAINBRAIN

Steve, You might want to investigate Telescape.  It is sold by
Mainstay, and one of its features is a pretty flexible method of
adapting to various terminal command sets.  I say "pretty flexible",
because I have written a terminal emulation program before and there
are *always* gotchas that are peculiar to one terminal design or
another, and which are not easy to emulate.  You should be able to get
the basics of cursor addressing, screen editing, and visual attributes
to work pretty well, but operating modes for data entry of protected
fields, and field editing will be quite another matter!

You can reach Mainstay in Agoura Hills, CA at (818) 991-6540.

peter

------------------------------

2891 22-OCT 23:57 Hardware & Peripherals
     Imagewriter II
     From: TRAINBRAIN   To: ALL

Has anyone had any experience yet with the IM II?  Is the resolution really
"almost as good as" the Laserwriter?  Will Thunderscanner work with it?

Steve

------------------------------

2893 23-OCT 15:40 Hardware & Peripherals
     RE: Imagewriter II (Re: Msg 2891)
     From: MACMAG       To: TRAINBRAIN

The ImageWriter ][ didn't seem to us much faster ( except in draft
mode ). It doesn't print as good as a LaserWriter, in fact, the print
quality is almost the same as the old ImageWriter. The only great
things about it is that sheet feeder option ( sold separately ) and
the interface port it has ( Print buffer/ Applet alk etc... ).

Rich.

------------------------------

2918 26-OCT 00:22 Hardware & Peripherals
     New Macs
     From: BURFURD      To: ALL

New Macs?: January: Macintosh + 512K 1024K models, both socketed to 4Meg.
Parallel connector 800K drive 128K ROM.

September Jonathon: Slots Color or Monochrome 68020 based Color will
be a frame buffer/ studio monitor setup Monochrome supposedly will
allow work on two 8.5/11" pages simultaneously.

All of the above is speculative, but comes from several sources.
Actually, the Mac + is pretty certain except for the 4Meg sockets.

Thought there'd be interest. BURFURD

------------------------------

End of Delphi Digest
--

							Jeff

uucp:   ...{harvard, seismo, ut-sally, sri-iu, ihnp4!packard}!topaz!shulman
arpa:   SHULMAN@RUTGERS
CIS:    76136,667
Delphi: JEFFS

korn@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) (11/01/85)

I love it!!!  Great!

Just wanted to get in my two sent.s in (boo hiss...)