[net.micro.mac] Macintosh Programmer's Interface

lsr@apple.UUCP (Larry Rosenstein) (11/02/85)

[I am following up only to net.micro.mac, since this is about
Macintosh programming.  If anyone thinks that it should go to other
newsgroups, let me know and I will follow up there also.]

In article <804@asgb.UUCP> tomm@asgb.UUCP (Tom Mackey) writes:

>If Apple employees are saying that GEM is inferior, then they should look at
>their own problems as well.  The underlaying toolkit, as mentioned before, is
>similar.  When I say I prefer an object oriented approach, I mean that I would
>prefer that the underlying tools would be object classes.  But the Mac and GEM
>toolkits both provide a procedural interface, which in turn forces the resulting
> I agree with
>a previous poster that Apple would be better off allowing desk-top metaphor
>products on non-Mac hardware.  Such a strategy would lead to wide acceptance
>of such user interface management systems.  I have little doubt that Apple
>is in a better place than any one else to further the state of the art in
>such UIMS's, and if they would spend more time being the inovative company
>I have always thought of them as, and less time bitching about imitators,
>they could become the industry leaders they think of themselves as.

I am currently working on an object-oriented system (called MacApp)
that makes Macintosh application development a lot easier.  MacApp
consists of a bunch of object classes that implement the standard
user interface.  For example, we have classes for windows, documents,
etc.

Programmers can override the standard behavior and add application
specific behavior by subclassing the standard classes and overriding
methods.  Internally, you can use objects if you want or you can use
standard programming techniques.

Right now we use an object oriented version of Pascal for development,
but we have plans to implement object oriented versions of C and
object oriented assembler macros as well.

In addition we are experimenting with the Smalltalk programming
environment, which will increase programmer productivity even more.

--
Larry Rosenstein
Apple Computer

UUCP:  {voder, nsc, ios, mtxinu, dual}!apple!lsr
CSNET: lsr@Apple.CSNET