[net.micro.mac] Megamax Include problem solved - dialog box bug?

mo@seismo.CSS.GOV (Mike O'Dell) (10/24/85)

Well, I solved my include file problem, but I don't know what was wrong.
I dinked with the line in question to no avail (couldn't find any
magic characters, but then I didn't go to the extreme of Fedit), so
I finally just chopped out about 10 lines (5 either side of the problem)
and typed it in again.  That fixed it.  I am buying a garlic garland
to put on top of the disk drive this afternoon.

On another note, has anyone else noticed that in the Batch "exiting"
dialog, the DRIVE and EJECT buttons are backwards with respect to
SFGetfile??  It is amazing how fast you subliminally learn where
such things are and automatically go for them.  Having to continually
read the buttons is a nuisance.  On the other hand, Batch is VERY well done.
One enhancement, however:  the addition of an "out of date" function
would allow most "make" scripts to be written as simply a list of
if statements.  I propose the following:

	out_of_date(target list_of_files_target_depends_upon)

return TRUE if mdate() of any file in the list is more recent than the
mdate of the target.  This can of course be done currently, but only with
a gigantic if statement.  With out_of_date(), we can write:

	if (out_of_date(foo.c foo.h bar.h baz.h)) {
		mmcc foo.c
	}

or
	set objs = main.o sub1.o sub2.o...

	if (out_of_date(a.out $objs)) {
		mmlink -o a.out $objs
	}

You get the idea.  So, is anyone at Megamax Land listening??  Again,
Batch is wonderful now, but this would make scripts so much tidier to
write and maintain.

	-Mike O'Dell

berry@tolerant.UUCP (David Berry) (10/28/85)

> Well, I solved my include file problem, but I don't know what was wrong.
> I dinked with the line in question to no avail (couldn't find any
> magic characters, but then I didn't go to the extreme of Fedit), so
> I finally just chopped out about 10 lines (5 either side of the problem)
> and typed it in again.  That fixed it.  I am buying a garlic garland
> to put on top of the disk drive this afternoon.

I don't know if this applies to Megamax C or not but it does apply
to consulair C and anything else that uses MDS Edit.  As has been
mentioned several times before, it is relatively/very easy to get
invisible characters in your source files with the enter key.  The
easiest solution I have found to the problem is when mysterious
errors occur in lines that appear to be perfectly ok change the font
to chicago from monaco.  The enter key and other invalid characters
will all show up as the missing character (a rectangle.)  It is then
relatively easy to manually remove them (sure would be nice if
there were a way to specify special characters (tabs/enter/return/etc.)
to search/replace...)
--

	David W. Berry
	...!ucbvax!tolerant!berry

	[standard disclaimer about this being only my opinion and not
	necessarily reflecting anything about Tolerant Systems.]

ching@amd.UUCP (Mike Ching) (10/30/85)

In article <> berry@tolerant.UUCP (David Berry) writes:
>> Well, I solved my include file problem, but I don't know what was wrong.
>> I dinked with the line in question to no avail (couldn't find any
>> magic characters, but then I didn't go to the extreme of Fedit), so
>> I finally just chopped out about 10 lines (5 either side of the problem)
>> and typed it in again.  That fixed it.  I am buying a garlic garland
>> to put on top of the disk drive this afternoon.

>                                                        It is then
>relatively easy to manually remove them (sure would be nice if
>there were a way to specify special characters (tabs/enter/return/etc.)
>to search/replace...)

If special characters exist in the file, they can be specified in a
search/replace by cutting them and pasting them in the search field.
I frequently have to remove linefeeds from files transferred from
another computer and just cut one from the text, start the search
dialog, and paste the linefeed in the box.

lewak@sdcsvax.UUCP (George Lewak) (11/05/85)

In article <1880@amd.UUCP> ching@amd.UUCP (Mike Ching) writes:
>In article <> berry@tolerant.UUCP (David Berry) writes:
>>> Well, I solved my include file problem, but I don't know what was wrong.
>>> I dinked with the line in question to no avail (couldn't find any
>>> magic characters, but then I didn't go to the extreme of Fedit), so
>>> I finally just chopped out about 10 lines (5 either side of the problem)
>>> and typed it in again.  That fixed it.  I am buying a garlic garland
>>> to put on top of the disk drive this afternoon.

>>                                                        It is then
>>relatively easy to manually remove them (sure would be nice if
>>there were a way to specify special characters (tabs/enter/return/etc.)
>>to search/replace...)
>
>If special characters exist in the file, they can be specified in a
>search/replace by cutting them and pasting them in the search field.
>I frequently have to remove linefeeds from files transferred from
>another computer and just cut one from the text, start the search
>dialog, and paste the linefeed in the box.

	Even better than all these suggestions:  There is an
Editor (called QUED) on the market which allows, in one simple
command, to remove all the unwanted characters.  It also allows
you to see the ASCII codes, if you want, right in the text.
I've used it for most of my program development, and found
this feature, as well as others which are not provided elsewhere,
quite convenient.

				Victor