[net.micro.mac] Switcher 4.4 and any weird copyrights

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (11/04/85)

Many moons ago I picked up a copy of Switcher 4.4 off net.sources.mac.  I just
got my Fat Mac a few days ago and uploaded it and everything worked fine and
there was great rejoicing.

In fact, a few other people asked me about whether they could have copies of
Switcher 4.4.  I understand, though, that Apple is going to market Switcher.
So, is it legitimate for me to give copies of this program to other people?
(I'm talking from a legal standpoint--Please don't give me this "Don't worry,
 Apple isn't going to waste time trying to sue you or your friends.")
--
"They show you photographs                          Peter Merchant
 of how your life should be

chuq@sun.uucp (Chuq Von Rospach) (11/05/85)

In article <3795@dartvax.UUCP> merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) writes:
>In fact, a few other people asked me about whether they could have copies of
>Switcher 4.4.  I understand, though, that Apple is going to market Switcher.
>So, is it legitimate for me to give copies of this program to other people?

I hope Larry will correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've heard there
is no restriction to non-commercial passing around of the switcher. Apple
will be selling a switcher package for about $20, but it will include the
documentation (inside switcher? a user package? I'm not sure which). If you
want the documentation, you buy the package. Companies that want to ship
Switcher as part of their package (Excel, I believe, does) pays a $50/year
fee and has to show Apple a debugged switcher application that can be used
as a turnkey setup. So what Apple is really planning on doing is making the
program available to those not lucky enough (or rich enough) to get it
through other distribution channels at minimal costs and also sell it to
the rest of us for the documenation -- since software is pretty trivial to
copy, selling the documentation makes a lot of sense.

chuq
--
:From the Crystal Caves of Avalon:   Chuq Von Rospach
sun!chuq@decwrl.DEC.COM                 {hplabs,ihnp4,nsc,pyramid}!sun!chuq

Our time is past -- it is a time for men, not of magic.

shebanow@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike Shebanow) (11/06/85)

Switcher IS copyrighted, so I believe that it is illegal to give it away to
your friends. The postings to CompuServe, UseNet, Delphi and other online
services were all specifically authorized by Apple to faciliate the testing
of Switcher with all the different programs out there.

On the other hand, I would probably give people copies until Apple's released
Switcher is actually available in stores. If you really want to avoid any
taint of illegallity, you could let the person download the program himself,
using your account. I can't see anything illegal about that, but then, I'm
not a lawyer.

Andrew Shebanow
shebanow@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU

lsr@apple.UUCP (Larry Rosenstein) (11/07/85)

Chuq is right about Switcher.

Although it is copyrighted by Apple, you can give away free copies of
the Switcher.  If you want to distibute copies as part of a product
that you sell, you must license Switcher from Apple.  I don't know
what the exact license fee is, but it is an annual fee per product
(not per copy of a product).

The package that you buy for ~$20 is called the Switcher Construction
Kit, and includes user-level documentation (ie., not Inside Switcher).

--
Larry Rosenstein
Apple Computer

UUCP:  {voder, nsc, ios, mtxinu, dual}!apple!lsr
CSNET: lsr@Apple.CSNET