[net.micro.mac] Making Start-up applications

harold@ubvax.UUCP (Harold Cook) (10/31/85)

I am in need of some information. How do you create a start-up application
on a disk?? I.E. I have a the Dungeons of Doom which was distributed on
net.sources.mac, and I would like to convert the D of D program to be
the start-up application. Could someone tell me how to do it, or direct me to
the proper location in the "phone book" edition of Inside Mac. Thanks.

--
Harold E. Cook

[ Standard Disclaimers]

US Mail: Ungermann-Bass Inc. 2560 Mission College Blvd. Santa Clara Ca 95050
AT&T   : (408)496-0111
UUCP   : {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra}!amd!ubvax!harold

spector@acf4.UUCP (David HM Spector) (11/02/85)

Any application can be made the "Startup" application on disk on which it
resides just by selecting it, and choosing "Set Startup" from the Special
menu.  This is even true if you are currently "running" from a different
startup disk; the finder is clever enough to figure out which disk you meant.

For example with the Dungeons Of Doom (what a nifty game!), you should move
all the required files onto a blank disk, then boot your Mac with some other
system disk, put DoD into the other drive, open the disk, click on DoD and
do a Set Startup.   Presto, instant startup disk with out the finder on it.
(Remeber, the aforementioned 'required files' includes a minimal SYSTEM file.)

			David Spector
			NYU/acf Systems Group

db@cbosgd.UUCP (J. Muir) (11/07/85)

In article <5220009@acf4.UUCP> spector@acf4.UUCP (David HM Spector) writes:

>Any application can be made the "Startup" application on disk on which it
>resides just by selecting it, and choosing "Set Startup" from the Special
>menu.  This is even true if you are currently "running" from a different
>startup disk; the finder is clever enough to figure out which disk you meant.
>	:
>	:

While this *should* work in theory, it may not work for every application.
For example, I have yet to successfully set the startup application on my
Sargon III disk to anything other than the Finder (1.1g).  Updating the disk
to the new[er] Finder also causes a system BOMB when trying to run Sargon.

I suspect this has something to do with the copy-protection scheme used
for this game.  (Fie on thee, copy-protectors!!)

Dave Bursik/..cbosgd!db

spector@acf4.UUCP (David HM Spector) (11/08/85)

Quite right, but the method I mentioned previously should work for
any REASONABLE program (obviously, I don't consider copy protection
"reasonable"", but as long as there are pirates, it's a necessary evil).
Most commercial program that will let you get back to the finder can
also be made the startup applications on the respective disks.  Including
WORD, FILE, MULTIPLAN, et al...

			David

* Word, File, and MultiPlan  are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.