[net.micro.mac] Are you sure it's busted?

bart@reed.UUCP (Bart Massey) (11/08/85)

> I downloaded the Dungeons of Doom program and when I tried to
> launch it, the menu bar initializes and the cursor changes to
> the sword and then......
>
> The Bomb!  ID=15.
>
> I think this is an indication of a bad download but neither
> xbin or macput complain.  I have tried to download it several
> times but always get the same result.

I'm sure all of you having trouble with Dungeons of Doom already
know this, since someone said it earlier, and I'm just wasting my
breath, but

	DUNGEONS OF DOOM WILL NOT RUN ON A 128K MAC!

The symptoms are very much like those described above.
It works fine, at least here, on 512K macs, though.  I sure wish
it worked on 128s -- that's all I have at home.  Is the author
listening?

BTW, has anyone figured out how to get below level 6 or 8 on this
thing?  It seems pretty difficult to me.  Any hints?

Also, BTW, THANK YOU VERY MUCH both to the author and the poster!

				Bart Massey
				..tektronix!reed!bart

beth@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (JB) (11/10/85)

[bugs abound]

From: bart@reed.UUCP (Bart Massey), Message-ID: <2122@reed.UUCP>:
>> launch it, the menu bar initializes and the cursor changes to
>> the sword and then......
>>
>> The Bomb!  ID=15.
>>
>> I think this is an indication of a bad download but neither
>> xbin or macput complain.  I have tried to download it several
>> times but always get the same result.
>
>I'm sure all of you having trouble with Dungeons of Doom already
>know this, since someone said it earlier, and I'm just wasting my
>breath, but
>
>	DUNGEONS OF DOOM WILL NOT RUN ON A 128K MAC!

Also, the doc has some pretty explicit directions for setting this
application up.  You can't just download it to any old disk and launch
it immediately - it'll bomb.  You have to dedicate an entire disk to it,
and you must follow the directions for freeing up space on the disk.  It
takes a while to set up, but it's worth it.  If you've read and Followed
the intructions, and it still doesn't work, send me mail and I'll send
you a copy that worked for me.

--

--JB         (Beth Christy, U. of Chicago, ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!beth)

"I once heard the remainder of a colony of ants, which had been partially
 obliterated by a cow's foot, seriously discussing the intentions of the
 gods towards their civilization."   -- Archy the Cockroach