[net.micro.mac] Help to a new mac owner

jenkins@ucla-cs.UUCP (11/06/85)

  I have just recently bought a Mac and would like to know if anyone
can answer these questions.

        1) What does BinHex do (binary-to-Hex?) and where can I
           obtain a copy?

        2) What do people think of AppleCare?  Is it necessary?
           are the technicians reliable? If so, where (Santa Monica Area)?

        3) Finally, is there any way of reviewing past postings to
           net.sources.mac since I missed the earlier ones?

  Thanks in advance,

  Gary Jenkins
  <jenkins>@UCLA-CS

al@ames.UUCP (Al Globus) (11/08/85)

>         2) What do people think of AppleCare?  Is it necessary?
>            are the technicians reliable? If so, where (Santa Monica Area)?

I like AppleCare a lot.  For two reasons.

1.  It's very inexpensive insurance.

2.  As anyone knows, if you have a maintenance contract (such as Applecare)
your machine will never break.  Therefor, for $150 a year you can guarentee
no problems!

dws@tolerant.UUCP (Dave W. Smith) (11/10/85)

In article <1250@ames.UUCP> al@ames.UUCP (Al Globus) writes:
>>         2) What do people think of AppleCare?  Is it necessary?
>
>2.  As anyone knows, if you have a maintenance contract (such as Applecare)
>your machine will never break.  Therefor, for $150 a year you can guarentee
>no problems!

I've had AppleCare AND a broken Mac.  Having had the maintenance contract
has saved me many $s.  I'm on my second mouse, second external drive, and
third keyboard, and all it's cost me has been a few trips to my dealer
(and a few disks that the external drive ate on its way out).  In addition
to AppleCare, you might want to consider fire/theft insurance.
--
  David W. Smith                 {nsc,ucbvax}!tolerant!dws
  Tolerant Systems, Inc.

db@cbosgd.UUCP (J. Muir) (11/12/85)

In article <1250@ames.UUCP> al@ames.UUCP (Al Globus) writes:
>>         2) What do people think of AppleCare?  Is it necessary?
>>            are the technicians reliable? If so, where (Santa Monica Area)?
>>
>I like AppleCare a lot.  For two reasons.
>
>1.  It's very inexpensive insurance.
>
>2.  As anyone knows, if you have a maintenance contract (such as Applecare)
>your machine will never break.  Therefor, for $150 a year you can guarentee
>no problems!

Yes, but $150 only covers the basic machine.  By the time you add in an
external disk drive and Imagewriter, the price is more like $260 (what
I paid for it).  While a bit high, this may still be cheaper than forking
out cash for blown analog or digital boards (especially when labor gets
added in).

Dave Bursik/..cbosgd!db

bhyde@inmet.UUCP (11/13/85)

Advice to new users... if your in a urban setting find the local
Mac User's group.  This is the very most efficent way to lay your
hands on all the public domain software.  If your time is worth
2cents it is faster to go to a meeting and spend the few bucks
to buy the disks full of public domain/shareware software.  If
you don't live in an urban area then you might consider the
Boston Computer Society as a default awnser.  They have a well
run library of public domain software disks, a nice news letter
with real reviews in it.