From: BILLCOX (3204)
Subject: Aztec console drvr use
Date: 11-NOV 00:43 Programming

Religious debates aside, I'm trying to use mixcroot with an application (it's
ported Unix code) along with quickdraw.  [It's a display program for gremlin {a
graphics editor out of Berkeley} files].

I got console output fine using printf, and
freopen(filename,mode,stdin) also worked fine.  When I added the
quickdraw stuff, with InitGraf, InitFo InitWindows, InitMenus,
InitCursor, TEInit, InitDialogs, in that order, none of the console
output appeared. Aha! manual says use fopen(".con"; it writes to the
current window. So I did that, and gave it a NewWindow to use.  Still
nothing.

No, I don't have a HyperDrive ( :-(  ) [sorry, Usenet frowning face,sideways].

I hve hacked it using a debug window, sprintf, and DrawString, but that's nnot
very convenient.

Any suggestions (mail or forum) would be greatly appreciated.

bill

------------------------------

From: PEABO (3208)
Subject: RE: Aztec console drvr use (Re: Msg 3204)
Date: 11-NOV 01:18 Programming

Bill,

I looked in the manual, and didn't see much in the way of clues ... I suppose
the first thing I'd try is removing the explicit InitGraf from your program ...
if that doesn't fix it, then put a printf after each of the InitXyz calls, and
see how many of them it does before the output stops working.

However, a more serious problem is that it will be using the entire
window for output, so when it scrolls, it seems like it will destroy
your menu bar. annd of course, there will be no refresh of the stdout
text when you use overlapping windows.

peter

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (3210)
Subject: Hot Tips
Date: 11-NOV 01:48 Business Mac

Well, enough evidence is in so we can offer some advice based on it:

- don't buy a third-party memory upgrade if you can avoid it - hold off on
buying a LaserWriter, unless you get a real good deal - get a hard disk if you
need one, but look for much cheaper, faster ones in the first or second quarter
of '86

We don't expect to see the big screen or the 68020 for a long time. (or color).
You should probably get rid of Lisas now, as opposed to Feb. 1 and after...

The new Mac should be _real_ fast in everyday use, with the new file
system and ROMs.  Price looks like it'll be real nice too, and we
expect Mac prices to drop after the announcements.

Ric Ford MacInTouch

------------------------------

From: JIMH (3214)
Subject: PIC resources?
Date: 11-NOV 21:43 Programming

Can anyone tell me how to put a pic resource into a dialog box as was done in
PRAM?  is this done from the program or can I use the resource editor to put it
all togeather?   thanks jim hopper

------------------------------

From: NAKMAN (3219)
Subject: Double-sided Apple drives
Date: 11-NOV 23:38 Hardware & Peripherals

So you want a double-sided Apple drive, and you want it NOW?  Well, go out and
buy one!  Just get an Apple // 2-side drive, open it up, take out the controller
card, and hook it to your mac! (pin-compatible with regular Mac drive).  Stick
in a disk, and you get 800K in Finder 4.1 or HFS (I believe the latter gives you
an option of formatting the disk as 1-sided or 2-sided).

-- Raines Cohen , Berkeley Macintosh Users Group (BMUG)

P.S. The only problem I know of is that Copy II Mac won't work right.

------------------------------

From: M68000 (3221)
Subject: RE: Chernicoff Wrong? (Re: Msg 3134)
Date: 12-NOV 05:44 Programming

I don't like storing the QD globals under A5 since I don't want to
depend on any area but the stack.  So I never touch A5 in my programs
and start all my code with the following:

;    QDstore := NewPtr(Size):Ptr   {Get nonreloc memory for QD area}
	MOVE.L   #grafSize,D0         ;size
	_NewPtr
	LEA      QDstore,A1           ;remember this allocated memory
	MOVE.L   A0,(A1)              ;  address
	PEA      grafSize-4(A0)       ;point to it
;    InitGraf(globalPtr);
	_InitGraf                     ;initialize QuickDraw and then I free the area
before the "exit to shell"...
;    DisposPtr(QDstore);           {Free QD globals area}
	MOVE.L   QDstore,A0           ;load ptr
	_DisposPtr
	_exitToShell Just call me unconventional.
--  Dave Trissel, MC68040 project; Motorola Semiconductor, Austin

------------------------------

From: TLEONARD (3226)
Subject: RE: Usenet Digest Volume 1 Issue 5 (Re: Msg 3125)
Date: 12-NOV 20:07 Mousing Around

First, i'd like to respond to the problem Peter Korn seems to be
having with TextEdit.  The code looks fine to me, and in fact the
GROW.PAS example delivered with the Pascal Compiler does use TextEdit
and infact has lines of code nearly the same as the ones you listed.
I'd be happy to examine the code the compiler generates if you send me
a disk.  You might choose the Generate .ASM option of the compiler and
examine the code yourself (using the $A+ option will help you read
it).

As for the compiler a prerelease version 0.9 has been out for some
time now. And version 1.0 will ship at the weeks end. At last!  The
users of the prerelease version did a great job in helping me isolate
those last few gotchas. Thanks!!

The compiler is a native code Pascal compiler that runs on a 512K Mac
or XL. It provides complete and full access to QuickDraw, Operating
System, ToolBox, etc... even MacinTalk and AppleTalk.  You can also
create desk accessories in Pascal using the compiler's Create Desk
Accessory Option.  It is object file compatible with MDS (.Rel) so you
can integrate Assembly and even C if you want.  Well, the list goes
on.  Look for ads in MacTutor, Macazine, and Club Mac.

...tom

------------------------------

From: PEABO (3230)
Subject: RE: Usenet Digest Volume 1 Issue 7 (Re: Msg 3224)
Date: 12-NOV 21:16 Mousing Around

Re:  Mockterminal default port

The lastest version of MockTerminal contains a Configure MockTerminal program.
Registered owners <ahem> of MockTerminal should receive the update
automatically.

Re:  Japanese character set for the Mac

There is a Kanji Mac for sale in Japan ... I don't know it this is an
Apple product or not, but even if it is not, a call to Apple Computer
at (408)996-1010 may yield some information.

peter

------------------------------

From: MACMAG (3233)
Subject: Big disk drives
Date: 12-NOV 21:33 When All Else Fails

If the new Apple 3.5" drives for the Apple ][ are double sided, and as some
cleaver user pointed out, can be hooked-up to the Mac, they why aren't they
available for the Macintosh yet?

After doing some digging-up, some guy at Apple told me that they were planning
on introducing another kind of drive (still 3.5") that Sony had given them.

Apparently Sony gave Apple some prototype drives that write data on disks using
a newly developped vertical method. It would seem that these drives are capable
of storing 4 megs on 1 3.5" floppy disk.

Is it fact, is it fiction? Who knows... kind of makes you wonder. If it turns
out to be true, I'm going to continue to ask this Apple guy for some more info
on different stuff.

Rich.

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (3247)
Subject: Usenet msgs
Date: 13-NOV 03:23 Programming

Re: "Problem: HyperDrve/MacTerminal conflict" [roy@nlm-vax.ARPA (Roy Standing)]
I don't run MacTerminal, but:  GCC makes no mods to Finder.

Re: "How to do FKEY resources" [mkg@lzwi.UUCP (Marsh Gosnell)] FKEYs are just
subroutines entered at the beginning.  It is customary for them to start with a
branch around identifying information, thus:

     Bra.S  DoTheWork
     DC     versionNumber
     DC.L   'FKEY'
     DC     resourceID
DoTheWork:
     Rts

------------------------------

From: PIZZAMAN (3253)
Subject: Apple 20 meg hard drive
Date: 13-NOV 19:18 Hardware & Peripherals

Can any of you programmers tell me what's happened to the 20 meg apple
hard disk that was supposed to be available by now? Some of you must
have gotten a pre- release version to try out with your programs,
right? Is this drive going to accept most of the currently available
programs without difficulty? Is this drive going to be as good as the
Hyperdrive 20? I have been unable to convince myself that I should
spend the money for the Hyperdrive "sportscar" version of a hard disk
for the Mac, but definitely am getting tired of waiting for the apple
"everyman's" version. Also, I have heard vicious rumors that the Apple
20 megabyte hard drive will only support one Mac. Is this correct?

End of Delphi Digest