[net.micro.mac] Mockwrite/MacTerminal hard disk problems

arndt@ttds.UUCP (Arndt Jonasson) (11/14/85)

In article <1020@nlm-vax.ARPA> roy@nlm-vax.ARPA (Roy Standing) writes:
>A colleague has a Mac with a 10Mbyte HyperDrive.  He uses MacTerminal
>V 1.1 (August 17, 1984) nad reports that MacTerminal hangs if its in
>the same folder as the Finder (which has the GCC mods).  He has to
>create a separate folder and put an unmodified Finder plus MacTerminal
>in it and run from that.

This may or may not be related to a problem we have been having with
MacTerminal (version 1.2). MacTerminal resides on a Sunol hard disk volume.

When the startup volume (where the system file is) is another hard disk
volume, MacTerminal starts up, displays the menu bar, and that's it. Pressing
the mouse or any key makes the Mac beep. There is no way to quit the program
(except via MacsBug, of course).
Not all hard disk volumes act this way, though.
When the startup volume is a certain diskette, everything works. When trying
another diskette, the same problem occurs, even though the system and finder
on that diskette were copied from the working one. The working diskette
contains MacsBug as well, so that's not the cause of the problem.

Does anyone know of a cure to this?

Another hard disk problem:
When using MockWrite (a text editing desk accessory), the SFGetFile dialog
sometimes hangs, when the startup volume (and thus where the accessory resides)
is a hard disk volume. When the startup volume is a diskette, this never
happens. "Sometimes" means: In a certain configuration of desk accesories in
the system file, it always hangs; after rearranging, removing and inserting
desk accessories, it always works.
Is this a bug in MockWrite, and if so, does anyone know of a 100% workaround?

Please mail me any answers you may have to these questions. I will summarize
to the net.

Thanks,

Arndt Jonasson
ZYX Research, Stockholm

UUCP: {ucbvax, philabs}!mcvax!enea!ttds!arndt