[net.micro.mac] MacTerminal query

roma@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (11/21/85)

Please -- does anyone know if I can patch my copy of MacTerminal (version 1.1)
to stop the disk from spinning EVEN when I say "Don't record lines off top"?
It's driving me batty!

Jon Roma
Computing Services Office, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

UUCP:	 {ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!roma
ARPANET: roma%uiucuxc@uiuc.arpa
CSNET:	 roma%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet

sbm@purdue.UUCP (Steven B. Munson) (11/23/85)

     Here is a message I saw in info-mac that describes how to make
MacTerminal stop periodically accessing the disk:

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (11/24/85)

In article <96900020@uiucuxc> roma@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU writes:

>Please -- does anyone know if I can patch my copy of MacTerminal (version 1.1)
>to stop the disk from spinning EVEN when I say "Don't record lines off top"?
>It's driving me batty!

To change the time constant of the automatic disk update:

On an original MacTerminal, using Fedit do a Hex Search for the long word
'0000 01F4'.  There is only one occurance of it in MacTerminal.  In decimal this is 500 clock ticks, or 8 1/3 seconds.  Changing it to '0000 0700'
results in just under 30 seconds between updates.  This will be the second
occurrance of '0000 0700' in MacTerminal.

I don't believe you should eliminate the updates as they are fundemental
to the way MacTerminal stores the screen. The 30 second update is much
more paletable.

By the way, this patch does not originate with me.  It was posted
either here or on Compuserve some time ago and I have forgotten
the authors name.  Thank him not me.

--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Bogus newsgroup: net.news: Move to end of .newsrc[yn^L]?

Don't be dictators, use thought.