[net.micro.mac] Schematics for Mac?

drick@hplvla.UUCP (drick) (11/14/85)

I am interested in finding a source of schematics for the Mac.
The block diagrams found in Byte and other such magazines are
interesting, but I need more detail.  If anyone knows of a source
for schematics, I'd appreciate a note.  Please send it in care of
David Rick whose account this is: ...hplabs!hplvla!hplvle!drick

                                       Daniel Yee
                                       Hewlett-Packard

"...it's not a Series 300, but it has software..."

espen@well.UUCP (Peter Espen) (11/18/85)

In article <12900001@hplvle.UUCP>, drick@hplvla.UUCP (drick) writes:
> I am interested in finding a source of schematics for the Mac.
> The block diagrams found in Byte and other such magazines are
> interesting, but I need more detail.  If anyone knows of a source
> for schematics, I'd appreciate a note.  Please send it in care of
> David Rick whose account this is: ...hplabs!hplvla!hplvle!drick
>
>                                        Daniel Yee
>                                        Hewlett-Packard
>
> "...it's not a Series 300, but it has software..."

	I just recently found Schematics for the Mac at a local
Mac Computer Software store here in S.F. CA.
	They are made by:
		Bech-Tech
		41 Tunnel Road
		Berkeley, CA, 94705
		(415) 548-4054
	The Schematics Consist of two 3' by 2' sheets. One of the sheets
are the complete schematic for the Analog board, the other is a complete
schematic for the Motherboard, keyboard, and mouse.
	I have spent quite a bit of time going over them and they look
completly accurate! Bech-Tech has done an amazing job on these very nice
drawings.
	I paid $10.00 for each sheet for a grand total of $20.00. I don't
think apple service centers have schematics quite as nice as these. I
highly recommend them!
		Peter Espen
		Kevex Corporation

tim@ISM780B.UUCP (11/19/85)

There is a Canadian Mac magazine ( I think it is called MacMag ) that is
publishing Mac schematics.  They appear to have Apples permission to do
this, so maybe you could also get them from Apple.

					Tim Smith
					ihnp4!cithep!tim
					ima!ism780!tim

werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (11/20/85)

At MacExpo in Boston, Bech-Tech was selling 2 posters (Logic and Analog Board)
for $20 each.  Last day, they closed-out at $10.  I bought several dozen at
a small discount for friends back home.  Very good print-quality.  Check
any Mac-related magazine for Beck-Tech's phone/address.  If they no longer
provide them (or if the price is prohibitive), making copies may be possible.
But I have no idea what such large copies might cost.

Of course, there also was (is??) IM Underground, which had a lot of good
verbal documentation, but incomplete schematics.  Did they ever come out
with anything else?  I never saw more but "Volume 1" .

	Werner		werner@ut-ngp.ARPA/USENET

callen@ada-uts.UUCP (11/21/85)

I got a set of schematics from the "IM Underground" in Ann Arbor -
I'll have to look for the address. The schematics are NOT "official" -
they are the result of some folks sitting down and tracing the board.
They came in MacPaint format on a floppy for $25, along with a bunch
of MacWrite documents that describe how the hardware works. Good stuff.
I'll see if I can find the address and re-post.

- Jerry Callen
  ...ihnp4!inmet!ada-uts!callen

davec@mhuxl.UUCP (CASWELL) (11/26/85)

> I got a set of schematics from the "IM Underground" in Ann Arbor -
> I'll have to look for the address. The schematics are NOT "official" -
> they are the result of some folks sitting down and tracing the board.

What I would really like to know, is what's inside the PAL's.  "IM
Underground" leaves the PAL's as black box's.  And how about what's in
that IWZ box?  Does anyone have that information??

					----> Dave Caswell
					      ...{ihnp4}!mhuxl!davec