[net.micro.mac] Mac Rumor

boylan@dicomed.UUCP (Chris Boylan) (02/27/85)

Has anyone heard anything about double density floppys, Apple
offering a hard disk or similar mass storage improvements for
the Mac?

Does the Fat Mac have any firmware or hardware changes over the
128K Mac?

More data please.  Thanks,
--

	Chris Boylan
	{mgnetp | ihnp4 | uwvax}!dicomed!boylan

ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) (03/07/85)

> Has anyone heard anything about double density floppys, Apple
> offering a hard disk or similar mass storage improvements for
> the Mac?
There are rumors going around about double sided, double drive
disk systems (giving you three disk drives).  No rumors I have
heard about when.  ("They" say Apple has thousands and is waiting
until they have > 100,000 before releasing them).

> Does the Fat Mac have any firmware or hardware changes over the
> 128K Mac?
No rumor: the Fatmac upgrade consists of chip and resistor/capacitor
changes.  No change to the ROM.
Rumor: expect a change to the ROM in a few months.  It will be
128K and contain the Finder.

--

Michael Ward, NCAR/SCD
UUCP: {hplabs,nbires,brl-bmd,seismo,menlo70,stcvax}!hao!ward

rjs@trwrba.UUCP (Robert J. Suyehara) (12/05/85)

From the "INTELLIGENCE" column of the December 2, 1985
"InformationWEEK" magazine:

Mac To Be Out In The Open Soon

  "An expandable Macintosh--the cornerstone of Apple
Computer Inc.'s plan to make its product line more
compatible with IBM's--will be introduced next year,
sources say.  The first component of the open Macintosh,
a 12-inch monochrome monitor, could be out by February.

  Users can also expect a fully redesigned Macintosh
by summer.  It will be based on the Motorola 68020
microprocessor chip, and will run both the Unix and
MS-DOS operating systems.  This beefed-up Mac will
feature two 720K-byte floppy drives, up to three
expansion slots, and an optional 20-Mbyte hard disk.
Initial pricing should indercut the Mac's original
price-tag of $3,500."

callen@ada-uts.UUCP (12/09/85)

           ------------
>"InformationWEEK" magazine:

>Initial pricing should indercut the Mac's original
>price-tag of $3,500."
               -----

Hmmm.... If these bozos paid $3500 for their Mac, I have serious
doubts as to the appropriateness of the word "Intelligence"
in the name of the column...must be like "Military Intelligence"... :-)

-- J.Callen

billh@hpisla.UUCP (Bill Hunt) (12/09/85)

>> feature two 720K-byte floppy drives, up to three
> Hopefully these are still 3 1/2" drives, if Apple goes back to 5 1/4"
> just to be IBM-compatible I'll organize a boycott.
> The IWM chip can read IBM format disks, but 5 1/4" should be an option
> on the Mac-PC.  (Like it is on the Amiga)

Relax, it just means double sided 3 1/2 drives.  Other vendors have
had double sided drives with 720k bytes for a long time.

Bill Hunt (hpisla!billh)

ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (12/10/85)