[net.micro.mac] Macbuttom and Apple's HFS

abbasb@orstcs.UUCP (abbasb) (12/03/85)

I called Mac Buttom people t ask about the necessary changes to take advantage
of Apple's new HFS using their hard disk.  The person who I talked to her
told me that the instructions to configure the hard disk is posted to compu
serve.

Since myself and many people do not have access to compu serve, would somebody
please post those procedures for us to CSNET.

Thanks for all the help

--Abbas

ix21@sdcc6.UUCP (Mr. Monk) (12/12/85)

In article <21100018@orstcs.UUCP>, abbasb@orstcs.UUCP (abbasb) writes:
> I called Mac Buttom people t ask about the necessary changes to take advantage
> of Apple's new HFS using their hard disk.  The person who I talked to
> told me that the instructions to configure the hard disk is posted to compu
> serve.
>
> Since myself and many people do not have access to compu serve, would somebody
> please post those procedures for us to CSNET.
>
> Thanks for all the help
>
> --Abbas

Here there are:

This describes how to use Apple's new HFS in conjunction with the
MacBottom hard disk and 1.55 software.  It assumes you have and know
how to use HFS, as well as FEdit.

To start, make a copy of the HFS startup disk, and drag a copy of
the MB START application  to   Use FEdit to make a small patch to
this copy of MB START: change both occurrances of $303CFFEF to
$303C0000
(this will let HFS "format" a MacBottom volume without incident).

Restart the Mac using that disk, and launch MB START.  Hold down the
mouse button to get into the MacBottom Utilities; create a new
volume at least 2 sonys in size (the bigger the better, since you can't
grow an HFS volume, yet).  The new volume should be the ONLY one with a
check mark (for insertion on startup).  Afterbeen
created, Quit to the Finder.
From the Finder, erase the new volume with the Erase Disk option;
although this is strictly forbidden if you want to be able to resize
a volume, it's currently the only way to create an HFS volume.
Now that you have an HFS volume, drag the System Folder over to it;
it's important that you use the new System Folder.  Drag a copy of
Switch Disks

NOTE: The old System and Finder won't recognize the HFS volume, so
don't try to insert it while you're running off an old system.

If you try this please drop me a note it works.

--
----
David Whiteman,