From: RICFORD (3962)
Subject: Musicworks
Date: 9-DEC-19:46: Mousing Around

I would hesitate to send money to Musicworks without first evaluating a real
copy of their programs.  Last we knew, MegaTrack was incompatible with
Professional Composer version 2, so it was pretty useless, because Pro Composer
version 1 was buggy as all heck...

On the other hand, their hardware seems to be just fine, although I don't
believe it has the speed switch capability of the more expensive Opcode
interface.

Ric

------------------------------

From: CVARGAS (4045)
Subject: Musicworks & Midi
Date: 12-DEC 18:29 Mousing Around

Hi Ric.  Saw your message about MIDI... the Musicworks interface doesn't have
the speed switch, but it does have 2 MIDI ins and 4 MIDI outs, as opposed to 1
and 1 for the Opcode.
Have you heard anything about Musicworks' Melody Blaster thing?  I'd be real
tempted to get it if I heard it was worth the $100 they're asking for it.

------------------------------

From: RICFORD (4060)
Subject: Musicworks Melody Blaster
Date: 12-DEC 20:14 Mousing Around

The melody blaster thing might be ok.  John has been toying with that idea for
quite a while.  I just wouldn't give up any money without seeing it in real
life.

The extra MIDI ports are definitely a boon, and I think the Musicworks
boxes are pretty cheap, too, aren't they?  The speed switch isn't as
much of an issue as it used to be; I guess a number of software
companies are supporting multiple speeeds, and Musicworks is supposed
to have a patch to make other programs work at their box's speed,
although I haven't tried it.  They did have a nice patch to cure
"mouse molasses" although it didn't seem to last across Mac startups.

I like Concertware's approach a lot - no copy protection crap and good
quality for the money with rapid updates.  I plan to check out
Concertware+MIDI and if it's as good as it's supposed to be, plunk
down the $130 or whatever to get it, even tho I don't have a
reasonable amount of time to enjoy all this great stuff.

Ric

------------------------------

From: SYNTHONY (3971)
Subject: NEW MIDI MAC SOFTWARE!
Date: 10-DEC 00:54 Creative Pursuits

--- NEW MACINTOSH MIDI SEQUENCER SOFTWARE ---

PRODUCT NAME "PERFORMER"

Scheduled for release November 27th, 1985

Publisher - Mark of the Unicorn.

Price - $295.00

Features (from product announcement & brochure).

PERFORMER is a powerful midi sequencer, editor, and performance tool for the
Apple Macintosh 512K computer.  This software package provides multi-track
recording, precise editing of musical events, and total control of your midi
keyboards.  Performer combines sophisticated sequencing features with
easy-to-use, on-screen command windows that can be opened, closed, resized and
rearranged to your liking.  Performer can record all MIDI information.  And it
plays back exactly what you played in --pitch bend, velocity and system
exclusive information -- ALL EVENTS -- without missing a beat.

Record in real time, and then for rhythmic precision, use one of
performer's may error correction commands.  Or, use the step record
window. You can use both step time AND real time record modes in the
same track. With Performer, you can edit ALL midi information.
Pinpoint and correct wrong notes.  Fine tune accents and pitch bends.
Even change system exclusive data.  Performer lets you edit complete
phrases of music with a single command.  Reaarange and repeat sections
with cut, copy and past. Add smooth crecendos,.  Transpose all or part
of a piece in seconds.

(there, that was the wording of the product sheet).

Now, the specifications:

*Real time and step recording even within the same track.

*50,000 note capacity

*Flexible MIDI channel assignment

*200+ tracks

*Accurate quantization using different modes (attack, duration, etc).

*Beat resolution is 480 parts per quarter note

*Sophisticated editing commands:cut, copy, paste, transpose, etc.

*Editing by event or region

*Input filtering

*Ability to edit any midi parameter

*Midi utilities:notes off, system reset

*Sync to drum machines and tape interfaces

*Adjustable interface clock rate makes Performer compatible with most Macintosh
midi interfaces.

*** Can be used with Mark of the Unicorn's music notation package
PROFESSIONAL COMPOSER to transcribe your music.  Transfer sequences to
Pro Composer and back!

The brochure also had several screen pictures that were quite good and
well layed out.  It will allow you to name each track, then assign
names and midi channels.  Or, rearrange the order of your tracks and
change which tracks are playing without stopping.  Tempo appears to be
adjustable even while playing.  Automatic punch-in and punch-out times
are supported.  The main screen 'function controls' are arranged very
much like a tape deck. Though not mentioned in the text, there is a
selection entitled 'set marker'.  I would assume that this allows midi
pointers.  I have ordered a few pieces to check it out.  I will let
you know when we have it and what it is like!  I think that combined
with Professional Composer, this could be a very powerful system
indeed (though maybe a little pricey for both!). WE'LL SEE!

BILL

SYNTHONY

P.S.  WE RECEIVED PERFORMER TODAY - SO FAR IT IS GREAT!!

------------------------------

From: MACMAG (4018)
Subject: January Upgrades
Date: 11-DEC 20:58 When All Else Fails

From a reliable source at Apple:

3 upgrades in January are to be expected.

1- ROM & Drive upgrade ( Around $300 ?) the new Rom is 128K and the drives are
double-sided (800K storage)

2- Logic board & memory upgrade. The new logic board includes the new rom, plus
it will add an extra port (SCSI) that people are already calling the "SCUZI
PORT". The memory upgrade will be of 1 megabyte. (no price)

3- Keyboard upgrade. Following the international standard. The (return) key for
example is in the shape of an inverse "L".

All upgrades will be available from Apple dealers. If you plan to buy
a mac, you can get all this new stuff in 1 unit named : Mac+

Apple is expecting a wave of bad comments and gripes from users. The
reason for it is because the new upgrade policy will be similar to
what happened to 128 to 512K upgrades. They claim that the new Mac
(MAC+) will be priced around the same as a 512K right now. They expect
even more hate mail. All products should be announced in January.

Rich.

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (4037)
Subject: RE: January Upgrades (Re: Msg 4018)
Date: 12-DEC 10:32 When All Else Fails

From another 'reliable source' I have hard three levels of Mac+

1> Level 1 has the new roms and new drive (I don't know about external) for
somewhere between 50-100 bucks, not bad eh?

2> Level two is the amazing one: 800k int. drive, new roms, new
sculli... oops, scuzzi ports, get this, TWO expansion ports (do we
believe this, hmmm...), I meg o' memory, and hold on to your mouses
for this one, a 68010 which will make the mac run twice as fast.
Additionally, the memory chips are socketed, so when the 1 megs come
out, there will be a 4 meg upgrade by just switching the chips.

3> Level three is the Mac+ which is a new Mac with the above.

DON'T go quote me and or MacInTouch on this. I repeat, DON'T go quote me and or
MacInTouch on this.

It is a great rumor/fact..maybe, it's just what I heard from a friend
who heard from a friend who heard from someone high up at apple,
supposedly.  However, I though it was VERY interesting so y'all might
want to see it.  No idea for prices for #2 or #3 but maybe 500-700 on
#2.

That's it.

Josh

------------------------------

From: STANDISH (4062)
Subject: RE: pagemaker (Re: Msg 4042)
Date: 12-DEC 21:02 Business Mac

Do you know whether JustText is compatible with any of the electronic
pagemakers?  I tried to follow this thread backward, but it was
unclear as to whether the product worked with MacPublisher II and (or)
Aldus Pagemaker.  We would have a rreal use for such a capacity. The
especially nice capability is the ability to do "m's", or inter-letter
spacing, as well as other full-powered typesetting commands.  With an
electronic page-makeup compatibility, laserwriter and modem to a
Linotron 101 or 300, you'd have som e real publishing power.

------------------------------

From: PMARTIN (4069)
Subject: RE: pagemaker (Re: Msg 4062)
Date: 12-DEC 22:07 Business Mac

Third attempt to answer: Bill Bates, the author of JustText told me
that program is not currently compatile with electronic pagemaker
devices, because he wishes to produce "pure" PostScript files, and he
says that the other systems handle some layout things in a non
standard way (I think I've got that right, but I may have
misunderstood him, so please don't take that as gospel.)

However, though JustText is not as easy to use as programs like
Pagemaker, it does possess quite a lot of built-in layout power. Bates
devised it to handle his own book-setting and layout problems (he's a
successful author). It has a powerful "column" feature that allows you
to define columns at the beginning of your project, then invoke them
as necessary to handle text positioning semi-automatically. Of course,
you can also specify beginning points for text sequences manually. You
can also do boxes, rules etc without much of a problem.  I would say,
based on my own experience of using JustText (still slight) that it is
fine for doing books, not too bad for doing simple, predictable
layouts (if you're prepared to spend a little time setting up colums
when you start the job) , but probably a bit laborious for a lot of
free-form design and layout.

However,  Bates has written a few utilities to do tricky things like fitting
type properly round an irregularly shaped graphic. Other built in tricks that
are very nice to be able to call on are fool-proof commands to let you do
reverse indents with hangind bullets, or large drop caps with automatic
typefitting round them. Tables are also fairly easy to do (though in my
experience there are no really easy ways to do tables properly - even my
employers' big Atex system is a pain to do tables on and requires a skilled
operator for that task). JustText is certainly easier than that.

JustText would be a lot easier to use with user-defined macros that
allow you to set up your own format and type changes in advance then
invoke them easily.  Macros are promised for a later release - but
Bates says that some users are doing fine with MacTracks.

Hopes this helps. This, alas, is my last evening on Delphi - I'm back off to
England at the end of the month and am shipping my Mac tomorrow. If I can ever
find how to get myself linked up through British phone lines, I'll be back in
touch.

Regards, Peter Martin

From: PEABO (4074)
Subject: RE: Clayton Elwell's multi-machine project
Date: 13-DEC 00:38 Mousing Around

Best Holiday Wishes to Clayton Elwell!  His multi-machine windowing project
sounds like a wonderful bit of work!

peter

End of Delphi Digest