[net.micro.mac] UNIX System V

pehaxell@watnot.UUCP (pehaxell) (12/09/85)

> Has anyone noticed that in the Special Edition of MacWorld (Winter 86), a
> UNIX system for the mac is advertised.  Unipress Software, Inc. is selling
> UNIX System V for $990.

The ad appears in the Business Software Review under Languages/Development
Systems on page 118.

Penny Haxell.

kevin@lasspvax.UUCP (Kevin Saunders) (12/12/85)

>> UNIX system for the mac is advertised.  Unipress Software, Inc. is selling
>> UNIX System V for $990.

Sorry, but no.  UniPress sells UNIX for the MacXL, a/k/a Apple Lisa,
known to some of her acquaintances as "the Slisa."

Some folks use it and claim to like it ok, but you can't even buy 'em
anymore.  PC/AT class machines are almost an order of magnitude faster, and
real cheap besides.

Waiting for Mr. UNIX,
(not bloody likely on the current Mac)
kevin eric saunders
lasspvax.kevin@tn.edu.cornell.{uucp,arpa}   ???

korn@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) (12/14/85)

In article <742@lasspvax.UUCP> kevin@lasspvax.UUCP (Kevin Saunders) writes:
>>> UNIX system for the mac is advertised.  Unipress Software, Inc. is selling
>>> UNIX System V for $990.
>
>Sorry, but no.  UniPress sells UNIX for the MacXL, a/k/a Apple Lisa,
>known to some of her acquaintances as "the Slisa."

Sorry, but no.  UniPress sells UNIX for the Lisa *alone*.  A MacXL has a
"screen fix" that is kinda like "fixing" an animal ==> it's no longer the
same as it was!  This fix consists of a new set of ROMS, and altering the
pixel size (to make them square).  This "fix" also so alters the machine that
it can no longer function as a Lisa (and no longer run UNIX).

So beware!  Make sure that the XL you purchase is actually a Lisa, and doesn't
have this "fix" (unless you *never* plan to use it as a Lisa, in which case
you aren't interested in running UNIX on it, and probably hit "n" when you
saw the title).

-----
Peter Korn	korn@Berkeley.LotsONets		!ucbvax!korn

hammen@gumby.UUCP (12/16/85)

> >Sorry, but no.  UniPress sells UNIX for the MacXL, a/k/a Apple Lisa,
> >known to some of her acquaintances as "the Slisa."
> >

> Sorry, but no.  UniPress sells UNIX for the Lisa *alone*.  A MacXL has a
> "screen fix" that is kinda like "fixing" an animal ==> it's no longer the
> same as it was!  This fix consists of a new set of ROMS, and altering the
> pixel size (to make them square).  This "fix" also so alters the machine that
> it can no longer function as a Lisa (and no longer run UNIX).
>
> So beware!  Make sure that the XL you purchase is actually a Lisa, and doesn't
> have this "fix" (unless you *never* plan to use it as a Lisa, in which case
> you aren't interested in running UNIX on it, and probably hit "n" when you
> saw the title).
>
> -----
> Peter Korn	korn@Berkeley.LotsONets		!ucbvax!korn

  The Mac XL (ex-Lisa) did not come from the factory with the screen update kit
  installed (it wasn't available until September or so) : rather, you have to
  go out and pay ~$100 for the one-way fix.  For those interested, there are
  third-party kits that let you go both ways--one is from a company called
  LisaVision (for approximately $80, you get a couple of wires, pots, resistors,  and a :

hammen@gumby.UUCP (12/16/85)

> > >Sorry, but no.  UniPress sells UNIX for the MacXL, a/k/a Apple Lisa,
> > >known to some of her acquaintances as "the Slisa."
> > >

> > Sorry, but no.  UniPress sells UNIX for the Lisa *alone*.  A MacXL has a
> > "screen fix" that is kinda like "fixing" an animal ==> it's no longer the
> > same as it was!  This fix consists of a new set of ROMS, and altering the
> > pixel size (to make them square).  This "fix" also so alters the machine that
> > it can no longer function as a Lisa (and no longer run UNIX).
> >
> > So beware!  Make sure that the XL you purchase is actually a Lisa, and doesn't
> > have this "fix" (unless you *never* plan to use it as a Lisa, in which case
> > you aren't interested in running UNIX on it, and probably hit "n" when you
> > saw the title).
> >
> > -----
> > Peter Korn	korn@Berkeley.LotsONets		!ucbvax!korn
>
>   The Mac XL (ex-Lisa) did not come from the factory with the screen update kit
>   installed (it wasn't available until September or so) : rather, you have to
>   go out and pay ~$100 for the one-way fix.  For those interested, there are
>   third-party kits that let you go both ways--one is from a company called
>   LisaVision (for approximately $80, you get a couple of wires, pots, resistors,  and a toggle switch: if anyone wants info, look in Macazine's Orphan Supportcolumn).
						Robert J. Hammen
						!uwvax!gumby!hammen
						Manta Software Corp.

  P.S. Sorry about the two postings, but something's funny with our system rightnow (we're installing 4.3beta).