[net.micro.mac] Removing Macintosh related groups from the net.

heuring@boulder.UUCP (Vincent Heuring) (12/18/85)

In article <248@mplvax.UUCP> rec@mplvax.UUCP (Richard Currier) writes:
>In article <3569@utah-cs.UUCP> j@utah-cs.UUCP writes:
>>Those who want to get rid of the appeal of binaries in net.sources.mac
>>merely have to post a few binhex's there which while advertised as great
>>games trash everyone's floppies instead.  Or post a terminal emulator
>>that trashes their Unix files or more subtly compromises their system.
>I assume that you are prepared to deal with the consequences of deliberately
>sabotaging the legitimate Unix related work of many professionals on the net
>who use the software as productivity tools.
>My administrators and yours have been alerted that there are now people on
>the net like you. Thank you for the warning.
>	richard currier		marine physical lab	u.c. san diego
>	{ihnp4|decvax|akgua|dcdwest|ucbvax}	!sdcsvax!mplvax!rec

You miss the point, Richard. This ugliness is here, just like nuclear
war, or more to the point, AIDS. And personally, I wouldn't download
and run a binary without the source to peruse, anymore than I would have
sex with an anonymous stranger.

Vincent P. Heuring. ECE Dep't. University of Colo. Boulder
boulder!heuring

"Don't fool with that binary, Roger, you don't know *where* it's been."

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (12/23/85)

In article <227@boulder.UUCP> heuring@boulder.UUCP (Vincent Heuring) writes:

>You miss the point, Richard. This ugliness is here, just like nuclear
>war, or more to the point, AIDS. And personally, I wouldn't download
>and run a binary without the source to peruse, anymore than I would have
>sex with an anonymous stranger.
>
>Vincent P. Heuring. ECE Dep't. University of Colo. Boulder
>boulder!heuring
>
>"Don't fool with that binary, Roger, you don't know *where* it's been."

 I must have been lucky, having downloaded EVERY binary which has come over
net.sources.mac during the past year.  I have never had a single problem I
would attribute to the bad intentions of those who posted the binary.

There is too much paranoia and too little trust in the world today, there is
no need to go looking for bad intentions here.
--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Bogus newsgroup: net.news: Move to end of .newsrc[yn^L]?