[net.micro.mac] Wanted ... Database program for a Mac.

laurie@cybavax.UUCP (Laurie Moseley) (01/04/86)

I am looking for a cheap (or preferably free !) database program for a
512K Mac. If you have had experience of any I would be glad to hear about
it/them. If not, any pointers - addresses, articles, etc. - would be welcome.

I currently use Dbase III on a PC and something of that order would be more
than adequate for my needs.

	May 1986 be a good year for all the net folk ... and everyone else.

			Laurie Moseley

--
If you have skill, you have power.
If you have power, you need responsibility.

korn@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) (01/05/86)

In article <163@cybavax.UUCP> laurie@cybavax.UUCP (Laurie Moseley) writes:
>I am looking for a cheap (or preferably free !) database program for a
>512K Mac. If you have had experience of any I would be glad to hear about
>it/them. If not, any pointers - addresses, articles, etc. - would be welcome.
>
>I currently use Dbase III on a PC and something of that order would be more
>than adequate for my needs.

Unfortunately, I've found no good database for the mac.  I'm an R:base 5000
user (like Dbase III, but better :-), and I'm very frustrated that I cannot
find anything anywhere near as powerful as it on the mac.

The only two options I've found in a relational database are MacLion and
Odesta Helix (I've not been able to get my hands on Omnis 3).  MacLion is
to be avoided like the plague, unless you are a) a fourth fanatic, and
b) very patient and absolutely >>love using the mouse<<.  Odesta Helix
wouldn't be too bad, except that 1.0 takes forever loading, storing, sorting,
displaying, changing, and everything else you would get a database for.
Version 2.0 is faster I'm told, but even so, I hate the format that the
database is presented in.

A sales rep came into our store a few months ago with a database he said
would be out "end of December" that actually looked pretty good.  Of course,
the name is at work, and I'm at home...

Anyone have a database that they feel can stand up to R:base 5000, Dbase III,
or even R:base 4000 or Dbase II for their mac???

-----
Peter Korn	korn@Berkeley.LotsONets		!ucbvax!korn

bromo@mips.UUCP (Bob Abramovitz) (01/06/86)

A few months ago I tested a beta version of Interlace by Singular Software.
It is a fully relational database that also contains the power of a spreadsheet.
Any field in a table can used like a cell of a spredsheet.  All the standard
spreadsheet functions are supported.  On the database side, you can define
the schema graphically, perform all kinds of queries, exploit many to many
relationships and display multiple views.  It was fast and powerful.
It does not require learning a new programming language.  Any thing that
you needed command language for in Omnis could be done graphically, on
the screen.  It is not graphical in the Helix sense, with a hundred :-)
different icons representing different functions.  It is tabular, like
the relations it describes. The best part is the price,  $95.00 retail.

Although I know some of the programmers involved, I have no contection with
Singular Software.  If there is sufficient interest I will post an extended
review to the net.

--

UUCP:  {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!bromo
DDD:   415-960-1200