[net.micro.mac] duoble sided drives

ragge@duvan.UUCP (Ragge Sundblad) (01/06/86)

In the latest Delfi Dighest:

>Speaking of double-sided drives, there is a persistent rumor about that
>certain disks sold as single-sided will destroy the second head on a double-
>sided drive, due to the "second" side not being polished.

It's so absurd it could be true! This means that ALL old disks in our
institution (2500) will be useless!!!!

Will someone from Apple please comment this?!?!?

A sad and mad /ragge
--
Why not have a nice day? Wonders:
Ragnar Sundblad, NADA, KTH      UUCP: {seismo,mcvax}!enea!ttds!duvan!ragge

gwe@cbdkc1.UUCP ( George Erhart x4021 CB 3D288 WDS ) (01/08/86)

In article <760@duvan.UUCP> ragge@duvan.UUCP (Ragge Sundblad) writes:
>In the latest Delfi Dighest:
>>Speaking of double-sided drives, there is a persistent rumor about that
>>certain disks sold as single-sided will destroy the second head on a double-
>>sided drive, due to the "second" side not being polished.
>
>It's so absurd it could be true! This means that ALL old disks in our
>institution (2500) will be useless!!!!

Unfortunately, none of the Apple Mac Disk Drive Upgrade Rumors (AMDDUR for
short) have said a thing about my poor little 400K external drive. I can
only assume that the external drive will remain 400k, thus allowing me to
use my current disks and software.

Also ... if the new drive could not use the old software, then what happens
to all of the folks with copy protected old software when they get their
system upgraded? Are you trying to tell me that those people will:

	a. Have to find a copy protection breaker that will "port" their
	   software to the higher density format? That still won't work
	   if the software can't handle the new file system!

	b. Have to return to the original manufacturer to get an
	   upgrade for their software? Tht is an awful lot of returned
	   disks! A real headache for a software company.

	c. Buy new replacement software? Hey, some of the companys
	   that wrote the software I have have gone out of business.
	   What about all of the free/shareware software that bombs
	   on the HFS?

This also represents a "golden opportunity" for software companys to
redo their copy protection.

What ya think?

--
George Erhart at AT&T Bell Laboratories Columbus, Ohio
614-860-4021 {ihnp4,cbosgd}!cbdkc1!gwe