[net.micro.mac] mod.sources.mac

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuqui Q. Koala) (01/01/85)

It is beginning to look like we ought to split the macintosh stuff out of
net.sources. the best place for it seems to be mod.sources.mac, which means
we ought to have a volunteer for moderator. I would be willing to do this
(in what is left of my copious free time) but I'm sure there are others out
there better situated to do this properly than me. What I think a moderator
of this group needs to be able to do is this:

   1) be able to access and coordinate an archive with uw-beaver (which
   means arpa access, probably) so that arpa sources get onto usenet and
   vice versa

   2) keep a permanent archive and post an occasional table of contents to
   it. pass out copies of the software on request, and generally make it as
   available as possible.

   3) be aware of software available elsewhere (especially compuserve) and
   make appropriate software available through mod.sources.mac.

comments?

chuq

--
From the ministry of silly talks:		Chuq Von Rospach
{allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui  nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

Deadbone erotica is the prickly panic of forgotten milleniums, it is the moldy
billion year madness that creeps deep along the spinal behind of my mind.

furuta@uw-june (Richard Furuta) (01/03/85)

I think >>net<<.sources.mac is sufficient.  The people who run the Info-Mac
list (actually at Stanford, not uw-beaver---we just gateway it for them)
have expressed a willingness in the past to mail the sources to Usenet.  We
just haven't had the mechanism set up to do it that easily (I think they
were going to mail them to fa.info-mac---I don't know if that is really
happening).  They also archive sources at Sumex which is on the Arpanet so
it's probably not necessary to worry about that too much either.

					--Rick

ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) (01/03/85)

> It is beginning to look like we ought to split the macintosh stuff out of
> net.sources. the best place for it seems to be mod.sources.mac

I see no reason to have a moderated Mac group, and will continue
to post to net.sources.

--

Michael Ward, NCAR/SCD
UUCP: {hplabs,nbires,brl-bmd,seismo,menlo70,stcvax}!hao!ward

hansen@pegasus.UUCP (Tony L. Hansen) (01/03/85)

Instead of net.sources.mac (or even mod.sources.mac), I would like to
re-propose net.sources.micro for sources to micro software of all types,
including those specific to the MacIntosh. This idea was brought up some
time ago, but rejected at the time because there wasn't enough
micro-specific software being posted then to justify the new group. I feel
that the situation has changed and a newsgroup devoted to micro software
would be warranted.

					Tony Hansen
					pegasus!hansen

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (01/04/85)

I'd agree with Rick... since the sources are being archived at Sumex, it
seems to be repetious to be archiving them elsewhere.  However, a seperate
newsgroups seems to be a good idea... I like the idea of the moderated group
(to keep from having repition), but it seems the moderated system hasn't
caught on very well yet (at least mod.sources seems pretty lean).

					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
UUCP:
 {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsrgv}!uw-beaver \
    {allegra,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,ssc-vax} -- !fluke!moriarty
ARPA:
	fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA

ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) (01/04/85)

> Instead of net.sources.mac (or even mod.sources.mac), I would like to
> re-propose net.sources.micro for sources to micro software of all types,

I like it!

--

rl@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Robert Langridge%CGL) (01/05/85)

In article <1984@pegasus.UUCP> hansen@pegasus.UUCP (Tony L. Hansen) writes:
>Instead of net.sources.mac (or even mod.sources.mac), I would like to
>re-propose net.sources.micro for sources to micro software of all types,
>including those specific to the MacIntosh.

PLEASE---NO!!   Mac generates a distinct (and exciting) community of interest
and should not be submerged in general micro sources.

Bob Langridge				(UUCP: [...]!ucbvax!ucsfcgl!rl)
Computer Graphics Laboratory		(ARPA: rl@ucbvax
926 Medical Sciences			          or
University of California		       langridge@sumex-aim)
San Francisco
CA  94143

jimb@amd.UUCP (Jim Budler) (01/05/85)

In article <> moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>I'd agree with Rick... since the sources are being archived at Sumex, it
>seems to be repetious to be archiving them elsewhere.

How do we poor folks out here in uucp land access Sumex.  If there is a
standard way for this to be done, could this be posted periodically in
net.announce or somewhere like that.  ( The place where the how to use
Usenet and Usenet style keep showing up).

Otherwise the great archive in ARPA land isn't a lot of use.
--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

josh@crunch.uucp (01/10/86)

I have been attacked by requests for software that I have saved.  I
 am offering to maintain mod.sources.mac and post this stuff
 in the same manner the mod.sources is maintained.

Any takers?

					--Josh
--

Send me mail . . . I   L O V E  mail

          Josh Siegel

UUCP:
   {convex,ucbvax,gatech,csu-cs,anl-mcs,ogcvax,lanl-a}!unmvax!crunch!josh

ARPA:
   unmvax!crunch!josh@lanl.arpa