[net.micro.mac] ST506 for the mac? && SCSI in general.

rick@nvzg2.UUCP (Rick Gessner) (01/10/86)

lewis@axiom.UUCP writes:
> 	I have access to some ST506 36MB hard disks and I was wondering
> if there is any way to use these on my mac.  Does anyone know of any
> mac upgrades or if the new Mac SCSI port would help???

In the December 1985 issue of Computer Design magazine there are
quite a few articles about the SCSI interface. Topics discussed
are along the lines of : what is SCSI, who is using it, what
is compatable, where is the industry going with it, etc.

Considering that there will/should/might be a SCSI port on the Mac+
all you Mac hackers (Hard/Soft-ware) might want to check it out
and share your comments with the net.

This could be an interesting topic for cross posting between
net.periphs and net.micro.mac, anyone out there know how to
hang a Fujitsu Eagle off our Macs using SCSI. (Don't laugh,
see pg 80 of the mag....a controller that will handle 1.38 gig
of disk and talks SCSI is available!)

In answer to the original question, on pg 71 it is stated that
"the AID-010 controller chip from Adaptec (San Jose, CA), for
example, can be programmed for a variety of disk interfaces;
in particular ESDI, SMD, ST-506, and even QIC-36 for tape drives".
Anyone want a tape drive on a Mac??????????

Rick

  __________
 |  ______  |     (Rick Gessner)
 | |      | |     (AT&T Information Systems)
 | |      | |     (SDSS-Tech Support)
 |  ------  |     (Altamonte Springs, FL)
 | *   +--- |
 |----------|     (My opinions are just that....,etc.)
 |__________|     ({codas,ihnp4}!nvzg2!rick)

I have no vested interest in Fujitsu, Adaptec, etc.........

sunny@hoptoad.uucp (Sunny Kirsten) (01/16/86)

Has anyone heard of any source for a SCSI bus interface for the
Mac eXLisa to allow it to use the plethora of SCSI peripherals which
will be available to the Mac?
				Sunny
--
...!{sun,ptsfa,well,lll-crg,ucsfcgl,nsc}!hoptoad!sunny	(Sunny Kirsten)