[net.micro.mac] Bad Disk Block Horror Story

hamachi@KIM (Gordon Hamachi) (01/03/86)

I just found out that a disturbingly large number of my floppy disks have
bad blocks.  Using the ScanDisk utility, I tested all 131 of my disks and
discovered 7 with blocks that couldn't be read.  But wait, it is worse than
it looks.  Two of 17 "work disks" were bad, and 5 of 59 "archive disks"
were bad.  55 other disks came from Apple's software supplement, and have
never been touched.

But wait again, it is worse yet.  Many times I've had to scavenge and
reformat disks when they've been trashed such that "Some files couldn't
be read and were skipped", "This disk is unreadable.  Do you want to
initialize it?", or "The file copy didn't work.  Try copying to a different
disk".  The bad ones were ONLY the latest ones I've found.

But wait one more time, it is again worse!  There are likely many more bad
disks in my collection.  Further checking shows that many of the errors are
"soft".  For each bad block on each disk I list the number of times (out of
10) it couldn't be read.  For example, for disk 6 in 10 trials there were
29 bad block reads distributed over 3 different blocks.

Disk   Times each block was bad in 10 trials
1	3, 4, 10, 9, 9, 2, 1
2	2, 1, 1
3	10, 3, 7, 3
4	10
5	8
6	10, 10, 9
7	2

I don't think I'm the only one with these problems.  Just about everyone I
know with a Mac sooner or later finds himself with a file or disk that is
corrupted.

You too probably have a fair number of disks that are screwed up.  No?
You probably just don't know it yet.  Macintoshes seem to suffer from this
problem with distressing regularity.  Why? What could cause this?  I've never
had such disk problems with IBM PC disks.

Some possibilities:
1. Program bug
2. Finder bug
3. Power glitch or other "act of god"
4. External magnet, x-ray, etc
5. Bad disk medium
6. Physical daage to disk
7. Bad disk drive
8. Bad disk drive design
9. User error (turning off power during a disk write, etc)

I urge you all to check every one of your disks.  If you would mail your
findings to me, I will summarize the results.  Please report:

   1. The number of bad disks you find, broken down according to the amount
      of use each is given.
   2. How long have you had your Mac?
   3. Estimate the number of bad disks you've encountered during this time.

Also, can anyone explain why these problems occur?

Gordon Hamachi
(E-Mail: ucbvax!hamachi, hamachi@berkeley.edu)
(USMail: Computer Science Division, Evans Hall, Univ. of Calif, Berkeley 94720)

ix21@sdcc6.UUCP (Mr. Monk) (01/03/86)

I had a problem with bad disks too.  One day I kept getting "This is
not a Macintosh Disc, reinitialize?" query to a bunch of discs.
Reintialization would always fail.  At first I thought it was all
the discs made by a certain company that were bad because all of all
that company's discs went bad, while all of those of other companys
remain good as I tested them.  So I threw out all the bad discs.
Then stupid me realized that it was not the companys fault it was
just that all the discs that were being placed in the external drive
were failing; it was just an incredible coincidence that I place all
of that particular company's discs in the external drive.

Well I took the external drive to my friendly neighborhood Apple
dealer and was given an estimate of about $112 for the minimum labor
charge of one hour and the cost of replacing the sony drive with in the
external disc drive.  It turned out that the Sony drive was
faultless; the problem was in the cable that connected the drive to
the Mac.  I ended up paying ten dollars more than the estimate
because the PART COST FOR THE CABLE IS TEN DOLLARS MORE THAN THE
PART COST OF THE SONY DRIVE.  I was absolutely stunned when the
dealer explained that to me.  Other than that experience I have
never had a problem with a blank floppy disc that I bought failing
for a reason other than negligence.  (You see I have a sister who
likes to use my discs as coasters.  My neglience is not connecting
my sister to one end of a high voltage power supply.)

--
----
David Whiteman,

chuq@sun.uucp (Chuq Von Rospach) (01/04/86)

> I just found out that a disturbingly large number of my floppy disks have
> bad blocks.

> But wait again, it is worse yet.  Many times I've had to scavenge and
> reformat disks when they've been trashed such that "Some files couldn't
> be read and were skipped", "This disk is unreadable.  Do you want to
> initialize it?", or "The file copy didn't work.  Try copying to a different
> disk".  The bad ones were ONLY the latest ones I've found.

> I don't think I'm the only one with these problems.  Just about everyone I
> know with a Mac sooner or later finds himself with a file or disk that is
> corrupted.

> You too probably have a fair number of disks that are screwed up.  No?
> You probably just don't know it yet.  Macintoshes seem to suffer from this
> problem with distressing regularity.  Why? What could cause this?  I've never
> had such disk problems with IBM PC disks.

> I urge you all to check every one of your disks.  If you would mail your
> findings to me, I will summarize the results.  Please report:
>
>    1. The number of bad disks you find, broken down according to the amount
>       of use each is given.
>    2. How long have you had your Mac?
>    3. Estimate the number of bad disks you've encountered during this time.
>
> Also, can anyone explain why these problems occur?

Well, at Gordon's suggestion, I went rummaging through my collection. I've got
somewhere between 150 and 200 disks. In checking about 75 disks (about 10
blank and initialized ones, all of the ones I use more or less constantly, and
a random conglomeration of the disks in my archive including a lot of the
Apple supplied software supplement disks) I found one bad block, which was
track 33, sector 0 of my Rogue distribution disk -- I bet that is what they
used for copy protection at that. Everything else came through with no
problems at all.

I the last year that I've had my Mac, I've thrown away one disk that wouldn't
re-initialize after being used for a while. I've never had a disk related
failure, never had software fail because of a bad write, never lost a file due
to a disk failure.

Most of my disks are Sony's the I buy in Bulk. I've also bought Apple disks
(early on, when they were the major supplier), Maxell, and a few other random
boxes. I also have all the Apple supplied supplment disks.

Now I do a couple of things that may be a bit different. First, I clean my
disk heads fairly regularly (although it has been almost a month, come to
think of it). I also use a disk initializer on all my blank disks rather than
just using 'Erase Disk'. When I finish with a disk, it goes to the bottom of
my free pool and when it resurfaces it gets initialized. Since I'm constantly
re-arranging my system disks (adding DA's, fonts, or removing them again or
something) I see to recycle those fairly regularly also. I also try to keep my
disks away from magnetic things that might make them unhappy.

I'd suggest that Gordon's problem is one of a few things:
    o dirty disk heads -- especially if the problem sectors move around.
    o misaligned drives
    o power surges
    o something magnetic (don't keep your disks on your stereo speaker, be
	careful with things like Bart ticket readers, you probably don't want to
	keep yours disks on top of your Mac for both heat and magnetic (from the
	CRT flyback transformer) reasons.

I'd guess that he is a special case, not the normal situation (if he was, I
think we'd have heard a lot of screaming from the users about blown disks, and
it just doesn't happen). I DO suggest that people check it out, though -- if
you've got a problem, you want to know so you can get it fixed. If you aren't
cleaning your disk heads, go out, buy a kit (about $15) and DO IT.

chuq
--
:From catacombs of Castle Tarot:        Chuq Von Rospach
sun!chuq@decwrl.DEC.COM                 {hplabs,ihnp4,nsc,pyramid}!sun!chuq

It's not looking, it's heat seeking.

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (01/07/86)

I have discovered that sometimes the '... do you want to initialize...'
message comes from sloppy insertion.  On my internal drive, I have
gotten the error message, ejected the disk, put it back in; and
all was fine again.  The difference?  If the disk was flexed too
much when sliding the lock tab, the problem would manifest;  also
if I pushed oddly on the disk during insertion.  The solution?
Take it out, flex it back and forth a little, put it in again
with minimum finger pressure.

My conclusion?  Either my drive is modestly out of alignment
or the fundamental design of the disks is slightly flakey.

--
E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything.

fbr@utastro.UUCP (Frank Ray) (01/07/86)

Regarding magnetic sources that can scramble disks:

 	In most telephones there is an electromagnetic bell
	which can, if place near enough (like on top of) to
	a disk, cause spurious patterns of information.
	Keep your disks away from ringing telephones.  Probably
	half an inch is enough, but better to be safe than
	scrambled.

fbr

briand@tekig4.UUCP (Brian Diehm) (01/09/86)

>If you aren't cleaning your disk heads, go out, buy a kit . . . and DO IT.
>
>chuq

Well, head cleaning is good advice, but the kits are another story.  I've had
disk failures occur suddenly, at which time I've used a kit to clean the head.
No dice.  Then, immediately, I've torn apart the disk drive and cleaned the
head directly with a cotton swab and Freon TF (I assume alcohol would also
work).  Presto - working disk.

The point is that THE KIT FAILED TO CLEAN THE HEAD!  This occured more than
once, so I've never bought another kit.  It is possible that cleaning kits will
work but only as preventative maintenance, I don't know.

Chuq is definitely right about keeping those heads clean!

For net info, the kit I used was made by Check-Mate Computer Suplies Inc.,
Randolph, MA.  It's a clever kit, it will handle single or dual-sided drives,
it just doesn't work!

-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc.

jww@sdcsvax.UUCP (Joel West) (01/10/86)

In article <2492@amdahl.UUCP>, ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) writes:
> I have discovered that sometimes the '... do you want to initialize...'
> message comes from sloppy insertion.  On my internal drive, I have
> gotten the error message, ejected the disk, put it back in; and
> all was fine again.
>
> My conclusion?  Either my drive is modestly out of alignment
> or the fundamental design of the disks is slightly flakey.

I've had a lot of "do you want to initialize" problems, and most
are along the lines of ems's comments.  I always give a disk at
least a 2nd chance.

bart@reed.UUCP (Bart Massey) (01/11/86)

> > I just found out that a disturbingly large number of my floppy disks have
> > bad blocks.
>
> > But wait again, it is worse yet.  Many times I've had to scavenge and
> > reformat disks when they've been trashed such that "Some files couldn't
> > be read and were skipped", "This disk is unreadable.  Do you want to
> > initialize it?", or "The file copy didn't work.  Try copying to a different
> > disk".  The bad ones were ONLY the latest ones I've found.
>
> > I don't think I'm the only one with these problems.  Just about everyone I
> > know with a Mac sooner or later finds himself with a file or disk that is
> > corrupted.
>
> Well, at Gordon's suggestion, I went rummaging through my collection. I've got
> somewhere between 150 and 200 disks. In checking about 75 disks (about 10
> blank and initialized ones, all of the ones I use more or less constantly, and
> a random conglomeration of the disks in my archive including a lot of the
> Apple supplied software supplement disks) I found one bad block, which was
> track 33, sector 0 of my Rogue distribution disk -- I bet that is what they
> used for copy protection at that. Everything else came through with no
> problems at all.

> I'd suggest that Gordon's problem is one of a few things:
>     o dirty disk heads -- especially if the problem sectors move around.
>     o misaligned drives
>     o power surges
>     o something magnetic (don't keep your disks on your stereo speaker, be
> 	careful with things like Bart ticket readers, you probably don't want to
> 	keep yours disks on top of your Mac for both heat and magnetic (from the
> 	CRT flyback transformer) reasons.
>
> I'd guess that he is a special case, not the normal situation (if he was, I
> think we'd have heard a lot of screaming from the users about blown disks, and
> it just doesn't happen). I DO suggest that people check it out, though -- if
> you've got a problem, you want to know so you can get it fixed. If you aren't
> cleaning your disk heads, go out, buy a kit (about $15) and DO IT.
>
> chuq

     I didn't even  bother to  check all mine  -- I  already
knew I had quite  a number of them  with the problem  Gordon
describes, and the first one I checked had one bad block.  I
tend to agree  with Chuqui's  comments about  what might  be
wrong, although  I  would  also  add  possible  drive  speed
variation problems to the list  -- the speed control  method
used is none too sane.   I suppose I should clean my  drive,
but the fact remains  -- the Mac 3.5"  drives are MUCH  less
resilient than any 5.25"  drive I've ever  worked with.   At
Reed,  we  routinely   have  problems   like  those   Gordon
described, plus quite a problem of incompatibility of  disks
formatted on  one mac  with another  mac!   The most  likely
causes of this are drive speed differences or badly  aligned
drives, but since there is no way to adjust the drive  speed
or realign the drive except to mail it back to Apple (or  so
our service person tells me) it's kind of a moot point -- we
just can't afford to do that in either time or money.

     Three cheers  for  the  rumored  SC(u)SI  port,  if  it
becomes reality -- I'se gunna just git a big hard disk,  and
ignore the  3.5" diskses  forever,  except for  backups  and
interchange with other machines...

     In sum, we at Reed have  heard a LOT of screaming  from
users about blown disks.  Just thought I'd add my two bits.

					Bart Massey
					..tektronix!reed!bart

"Someday, my son, all this will be yours."
"What, the curtains?"
				--Monty Python

hogan@rosevax.UUCP (Andy Hogan) (01/16/86)

> >If you aren't cleaning your disk heads, go out, buy a kit . . . and DO IT.
> >
> >chuq
>
> Well, head cleaning is good advice, but the kits are another story.  .....
> The point is that THE KIT FAILED TO CLEAN THE HEAD!  This occured more than
> once, so I've never bought another kit.  It is possible that cleaning kits
> will work but only as preventative maintenance, I don't know.

Our field service group has investigated several head cleaning kits and
concluded that IF used regularly AND properly, they help as a preventative
measure.  They then concluded that we should not reccommend that our
customers use them, because we don't think both "if's" above can be easily
met in the field.  Especially since the instructions that come with them
generally try to get you to use too much cleaner (usually alchohol) and
use the kits too often.  I recommend the harder, but better, method of
cleaning by hand with swabs and alcohol.

> Chuq is definitely right about keeping those heads clean!
> -Brian Diehm

Uh, yeah, he sure is.  Thanks for the reminder, both of you, I'll do
mine tonight.  (When was the last time, hmmmmm.....nah, I must'a done
it since then..........)

--
Andy Hogan   Rosemount, Inc.   Mpls MN
path: ...ihnp4!stolaf!umn-cs!mmm!rosevax!hogan