[net.micro.mac] Astonishingly Cheap Hyperdrive????

mo@seismo.CSS.GOV (Mike O'Dell) (01/09/86)

Does anyone out there know anything about the Warp20 disk system advertised
in the latest MacWorld?  They claim to be using the Rodime 20 meg drive
with a clip-on controller, and it mounts inside the Mac, essentially
just like the Hyperdrive 20.  They call it the Warp20 (Warp Drive, get it??)
and the advert claims a price of $895!!!!  While this is certainly
reasonable, know cost of the goods involved, it is VERY aggressive.
If it works and can be maintained with some reasonable service agreement,
GCC has some serious competition.

	-Mike O'Dell

berry@tolerant.UUCP (David Berry) (01/10/86)

> Does anyone out there know anything about the Warp20 disk system advertised
> in the latest MacWorld?  They claim to be using the Rodime 20 meg drive
> with a clip-on controller, and it mounts inside the Mac, essentially
> just like the Hyperdrive 20.  They call it the Warp20 (Warp Drive, get it??)
> and the advert claims a price of $895!!!!  While this is certainly
> reasonable, know cost of the goods involved, it is VERY aggressive.
> If it works and can be maintained with some reasonable service agreement,
> GCC has some serious competition.
>
>       -Mike O'Dell

        Just talked to the folks at Warp Nine (the people that make the
Warp 20.)  The details I was able to get out of the salesman are:

        1.  It clips on to the 68K and needs to be soldered to the
                power switch.

        2.  For a $30 deposit they send you a "toolkit" that includes
                at least the torx driver to open the case, a soldering
                iron, and "some other tools."

        3.  There are problems with the Levco Monster Mac.  All other
                1 Meg+ upgrade "that we know of work fine."

        4.  They ship with Finder 5.1 and the HFS.

        5.  There is a 30 Day money-back warrantee.  That's what they
                said, sounds more like a guarantee to me, but I'm not
                really sure what the difference is.

        6.  They do claim to use the Rodime 20 Meg drive.

        7.  For $250 you can purchase a 1 year extended service contract.

        8.  "The Assimilation print server is known to work."  This
                information was volunteered and implies that they don't
                have one of their own.

        9.  The system is booted from an auto-eject boot floppy, not
                the hard disk.

        10.  "The drive will work with anything that works with the HD20."

        The salesman is sending me a propaganda sheet.  I will post
any other significant gleanings from it that seem worth while.

--

        David W. Berry
        {ucbvax,pyramid,idsvax,bene,oliveb}!tolerant!berry

        I'm only here for the beer.

keith@ssc-vax.UUCP (Keith Nemitz) (01/13/86)

> Does anyone out there know anything about the Warp20 disk system advertised

  I called Warp 9 Engineering up and they said they use the HFS and it will
self boot with the new ROMs, but they get hyperdrive speed of access.  They
have a 30 day money-back guarantee and I'm counting my pennies.  It sounded
like the only way to go.

  Too bad I don't know anybody at Warp 9 or I would write a plug for them.

                                            keith

rjd@faron.UUCP (Robert DeBenedictis) (01/16/86)

In article <242@tolerant.UUCP> berry@tolerant.UUCP (David Berry) writes:
>> Does anyone out there know anything about the Warp20 disk system advertised
>> in the latest MacWorld?  They claim to be using the Rodime 20 meg drive
>> with a clip-on controller, and it mounts inside the Mac, essentially
>> just like the Hyperdrive 20.  They call it the Warp20 (Warp Drive, get it??)
>> and the advert claims a price of $895!!!!  ....
>> 	-Mike O'Dell
>
>	Just talked to the folks at Warp Nine (the people that make the
>Warp 20.)  The details I was able to get out of the salesman are:
>
>	1.  It clips on to the 68K and needs to be soldered to the
>		power switch.
>
>	... [more info from salespeople]
>
>	The salesman is sending me a propaganda sheet.  I will post
>any other significant gleanings from it that seem worth while.
>	David W. Berry

Well, I'm sure someone on the net must have taken them up on their offer by
now!  I'd like to hear about it first hand.

	How long did it take to arrive?
	How hard was it to install?
	Does it work?
	Why doesn't it work with Monster Mac?  Will it work with other
	  memory upgrades?
	Does anyone know anything about the company?