[net.micro.mac] Misc. comments/questions

harrow@exodus.DEC (Jeff Harrow, NCSE LKG1-3/F16 DTN=226-7445) (01/13/86)

Good morning!  Several comments/questions:

o In  response  to  my  question  about  an HFS version of RedEdit, several
people have advised  me  that it came as part of a Dec.  supplement.  I'm a
Certified Developer and had  been  receiving  the  supplements for the past
year, but no HFS (Dec?) supplement.  Should I have expected this?

o I've been advised that  Fedit  V3.5  is  somewhat  HFS  compatible;  only
available from the author for $30.

o It's rumored that Finder V5.1  is floating around...  Can someone mail it
to me or post it to the net?  (By the way, non-HFS use of Finder 5.0 and up
still yields value; as in the Small Icon display, etc.)

o On a number of other hard disks, notably those used with the DEC Rainbow,
there are programs floating around to cause the head  to  move  to  a track
which is not used for data.  This is intended to put the head over non-data
when  moving the drive and hence reduce the risk of damaging  an  important
area on the disk surface due to bumps.  The HD20 is so portable that I find
myself  moving it along with the system quite a bit.  Does anyone  know  if
such is possible/desirable on the HD20?

o  Does  anyone  know of a way to make a Microsoft Basic program a  Startup
program?  Of  course  you  can make BASIC the Startup application, but this
does not automatically run  a  BASIC  PROGRAM.  The manual is silent on the
subject, yet I wonder if  there  is  a  special name you can give a program
which BASIC will look for and RUN if found...

o Videoworks is AWESOME!  A  PERFECT  application for the Mac!  It does for
presentations (or just as an art form)  what  MacWrite  did for the printed
document!  Try it, you'll like it!   (Perhaps  we  can  exchange  animation
sequences?)

Have a good day!

Jeff

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (01/16/86)

In article <408@decwrl.DEC.COM> harrow@exodus.DEC (Jeff Harrow, NCSE LKG1-3/F16 DTN=226-7445) writes:

>o It's rumored that Finder V5.1  is floating around...  Can someone mail it
>to me or post it to the net?  (By the way, non-HFS use of Finder 5.0 and up
>still yields value; as in the Small Icon display, etc.)

No one can legally post it to the net.  As for using Finder 5.n without HFS,
anyone who either uses a non-released Finder ( some of the 5.n ones fall
into this category ), or uses a released Finder in a way that Apple warns
against ( using 5.n with a non HFS system falls into this category ),
deserves whatever happens to them.

>o On a number of other hard disks, notably those used with the DEC Rainbow,
>there are programs floating around to cause the head  to  move  to  a track
>which is not used for data.  This is intended to put the head over non-data
>when  moving the drive and hence reduce the risk of damaging  an  important
>area on the disk surface due to bumps.  The HD20 is so portable that I find
>myself  moving it along with the system quite a bit.  Does anyone  know  if
>such is possible/desirable on the HD20?

It depends on the disk.  Some hard disks want to have the head at a
particular place, and require software to put it there, some put it
there by themselves when power is removed, and some don't care.  If
Apple did not supply such a thing, it is probably safe to assume
that it is not needed.  If you want to be sure, call Apple.

--
Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim