[net.micro.mac] Finder 5.1 and ResEdit 0.8

vishniac@wanginst.UUCP (Ephraim Vishniac) (01/07/86)

While experimenting with HFS this weekend, I noticed a bug in Finder 5.1 and
found a pleasant surprise in ResEdit.

The bug: I tossed a folder in the trash.  No complaint.  I selected "Empty
Trash."  The finder responded "Unable to empty trash."  Even so, the trash
appeared empty and nothing from the trash reappeared on the desktop.
I eventually figured out that one of the files in the trashed folder was
in use, which is why it couldn't be trashed.  Closing and re-opening the
disk window caused the folder containing the file to reappear in the disk
window.

The pleasant surprise: ResEdit doesn't use the GetFile dialog to open folders,
it just presents a list of files.  So, I wasn't sure what to expect when I ran
it with an HFS volume mounted.  Surprise!  For HFS volumes, the list of files
includes folders and shows the small icon next to every file/folder name.
--
Ephraim Vishniac
  [apollo, bbncca, cadmus, decvax, harvard, linus, masscomp]!wanginst!vishniac

jww@sdcsvax.UUCP (Joel West) (01/10/86)

In article <1520@wanginst.UUCP>, vishniac@wanginst.UUCP (Ephraim Vishniac) writes:
> While experimenting with HFS this weekend, I noticed a bug in Finder 5.1 and
> found a pleasant surprise in ResEdit.
>
> The pleasant surprise: ResEdit doesn't use the GetFile dialog to open folders,
> it just presents a list of files.  So, I wasn't sure what to expect when I ran
> it with an HFS volume mounted.  Surprise!  For HFS volumes, the list of files
> includes folders and shows the small icon next to every file/folder name.

This also works on ResEdit 1.0 (still floating around in pre-release
to certified developers--don't ask me for one), but it's reassuring
to know they were ahead of the game on this one.

briand@tekig4.UUCP (Brian Diehm) (01/15/86)

>This also works on ResEdit 1.0 (still floating around in pre-release
>to certified developers--don't ask me for one), but it's reassuring
>to know they were ahead of the game on this one.

So I'm NOT asking, but could someone surreptitiously sort of make sure this
gets posted to the (non-existent) net.sources.mac?

-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc.

P.S. - I just KNOW the implications of what I suggest are sure to cause the
       collapse of our entire civilization, so sue me!  And also consider this
       a disclaimer - Tektronix doesn't know whereof I speak!

mlr0@bunny.UUCP (Martin Resnick) (01/17/86)

> >This also works on ResEdit 1.0 (still floating around in pre-release
> >to certified developers--don't ask me for one), but it's reassuring
> >to know they were ahead of the game on this one.
>
> So I'm NOT asking, but could someone surreptitiously sort of make sure this
> gets posted to the (non-existent) net.sources.mac?

ResEdit v 1.0d4 is part of the December Software Supplement available from
Apple for $25.

Also, the Addison-Wesley version of Inside Macintosh should be at your
local bookstores now.  It is available as three soft cover volumes or as
one hard cover bound volume.
Pricing:  Vol I  $24.95;  Vol II  $24.95;  Vol III $19.95;
	  Hard cover $79.95