jww@sdcsvax.UUCP (Joel West) (01/18/86)

They had handouts at the Apple booth at the MacWorld Expo, so
here's additional info
In article <8393@amdcad.UUCP>, jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) writes:
>1. 	ROM + 800K drive	$299
>
>2. 	512K to Mac+	$599
>
>3. 	128K to Mac+	$799
Or "third-party modified boards"

#2 or #3 require #1, but the Apperson said there's no reason to do it
all at once, rather than in stages.  Both #2 and #3 include adapter
cables for DB-9 to the funky 8-pins.  I tried the whole show to find
a source (of 8-pins) and couldn't, although the Apple booth used some
really nice 9-to-8 molded connectors, which are obviously the
> --  Macintosh Plus Peripheral Adapter Cable.
mentioned in Jim's message.

>4. 	Keyboard	$129  keep the old one
I'm not sure I agree (see below)

These were all listed as "available -- March 1", although the Apperson
said that was just being pessimistic, probably some time in February.

> --  A Fast, Efficient Operating System.
Copybits and related operations (e.g., moving a bitmap in MacPaint)
were noticeably faster.  Also, boots from the 800kb floppy.

> --  Cursor Keys and a Numeric Keypad.
The new HFS {Get,Put}File dialog box defines meanings for the cursor keys
so that your fingers never need to leave the keyboard.  This is very
important to me, as I always try to answer SFGetFiles by typing and
hitting "Return".

************FLAME ON******************
The new keypad looks like this:
		CLEAR	=	/	*
		7	8	9	-
		4	5	6	+
		1	2	3	EN-
		--- 0 ---	.	TER
While the right-hand side of the keyboard is
		[	]	RE-		(J-shaped like IBM Selectric)
		    "     TURN......
		/	Shift	Up
	\	Left	Right	Down

(on the left side, option and command are widened out to even with shift.)
There are two glaring problems for old-Mac users with the Mac Plus keyboard:
	* The right shift is now about the size of the (old) Enter
	  key--users tell me they hit Up instead of Shift a lot
	* The enter is gone!  (it's now hidden in the keypad).
The missing right-option key is less serious, to me.

Still, I probably will buy the new keyboard for better terminal emulation.

*****FLAME OFF*******

> Available in February, the LaserWriter Plus has all the features and power of
> the LaserWriter, in addition to seven new typefaces including ITC Avant
> Garde(TM), ITC Bookman(TM), Helvetica Narrow, New Century Schoolbook, Palatino,
> ITC Zapf Dingbats(TM) and ITC Zapf Chancery(TM).

Just a brief reaction from the samples:
	Avant, H. Narrow : san serif
	Bookman, Palatino, Schoolbook: Serif
	Chancery: Italic (quasi-Venice)
	Dingbats: pictographic

	Joel West	CACI, Inc. - Federal (c/o UC San Diego)
	{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww
	jww@SDCSVAX.ARPA