[net.micro.mac] How tough will it be to hang a hard disk of the Mac+ SCSI port?

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (01/15/86)

Seems that the SCSI port on the back of Mac+ has passed the rumor stage.
Thus, a question; given that you have a generic (hah) hard drive (let's say
20MB) and a controller card talking SCSI, and a 512K Mac+ with the SCSI port
on the back.  Let's also say you have Mac Finder 5.N and Resedit.  How
tough do you think it will be to initialize the hard disk with the Apple
HFS?  I'm assuming one of two extremes:

1)  EASY (relatively).  You alter a driver table someplace in the system
    file with ResEdit to the hard disk's capacity, and then use Finder 5.N's
    new initialize disk option.  Voila!  OK, maybe somewhat rose-tinted...

2)  TOUGHER.  You need to write and compile a driver, install it in the
    System file with ResEdit, and then initialize the disk.  Maybe not so
    tough if someone writes a generic driver where you need only change a
    few constants to get it to work for your machine.

My naievete knows no bounds, so I'm asking people out there with more smarts
in this area for guesses/answers/hints.

                        "Strong men blench!  Women scream!  Children vomit!"

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
ARPA: fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP: {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (01/15/86)

Seems that the SCSI port on the back of Mac+ has passed the rumor stage.
Thus, a question; given that you have a generic (hah) hard drive (let's say
20MB) and a controller card talking SCSI, and a 1 Meg Mac+ with the SCSI

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (01/17/86)

In article <2605@colossus.fluke.UUCP> moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>Seems that the SCSI port on the back of Mac+ has passed the rumor stage.
>Thus, a question; given that you have a generic (hah) hard drive (let's say
>20MB) and a controller card talking SCSI, and a 1 Meg Mac+ with the SCSI

Actually, you might not need the controller card!  Many hard disks now come
with SCSI built in.  According to one of those random magazines that
get sent to companies ( to names noone has ever heard of! ), the disk
in the Apple HD20 has a built in SCSI port.  I would expect Apple to
come out with a version of the HD20 that uses this, and hence to have
generic SCSI drivers available for the Mac+.
--
Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim

spector@csd2.UUCP (David HM Spector) (01/19/86)

It won't be hard at ALL!  At the expo, I saw about 5 (!!) different scsi disks
ranging from 10 to 80 mb....some ith streaming tapes, et al... and
best of all, all of them are available NOW.

				David Spector
				NYU/acf Systems Group

				..just back from SF.

espen@well.UUCP (Peter Espen) (01/19/86)

In article <267@ism780c.UUCP>, tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) writes:
> In article <2605@colossus.fluke.UUCP> moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) writes:
> >Seems that the SCSI port on the back of Mac+ has passed the rumor stage.
> >Thus, a question; given that you have a generic (hah) hard drive (let's say
> >20MB) and a controller card talking SCSI, and a 1 Meg Mac+ with the SCSI
>
> Actually, you might not need the controller card!  Many hard disks now come
> with SCSI built in.  According to one of those random magazines that
> get sent to companies ( to names noone has ever heard of! ), the disk
> in the Apple HD20 has a built in SCSI port.  I would expect Apple to
> come out with a version of the HD20 that uses this, and hence to have
> generic SCSI drivers available for the Mac+.
> --
> Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim

	There are also a whole host of IBM Compatable drives that will
work with the SCSI format. An IBM compatable hard drive at about $500
is much more attractive than a Apple HD20 at over a $1000.
`	Peter Espen