[net.micro.mac] Macintosh Plus serial port change

chuq@sun.uucp (Chuq Von Rospach) (01/17/86)

> >	I got a peek at a Mac Plus yesterday, and it's pretty much
> >what the rumors have projected: an old mac with new ROM, a double-sided
> >drive, 1 Meg RAM, and a SCSI interface.  The modem and printer ports
> >are little round connectors, making room for the SCSI port.
>
> There had been rumors to this effect on the net.  Now they seem to be verified.
> Apple has made all of our cables obsolete!  This is especially sad for the
> special interfaces that clamp to the back of the Mac (like Assimilation's MIDI).

Uh, I hate to rain on your parade, but Apple isn't quite that dumb. All of
the Mac+ machines I saw at MacExpo yesterday had converter cables from the old
to the new format. The Paradise people said they'd be shipped with the
machines for the forseable future. This is a non-problem with an obvious
solution -- I'm suprised that nobody out there expected Apple to think of it.
--
:From catacombs of Castle Tarot:        Chuq Von Rospach
sun!chuq@decwrl.DEC.COM                 {hplabs,ihnp4,nsc,pyramid}!sun!chuq

It's not looking, it's heat seeking.

espen@well.UUCP (Peter Espen) (01/20/86)

In article <3166@sun.uucp>, chuq@sun.uucp (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

> > >	I got a peek at a Mac Plus yesterday, and it's pretty much
> > >what the rumors have projected: an old mac with new ROM, a double-sided
> > >drive, 1 Meg RAM, and a SCSI interface.  The modem and printer ports
> > >are little round connectors, making room for the SCSI port.
> >
> > There had been rumors to this effect on the net.  Now they seem to be verified.
> > Apple has made all of our cables obsolete!  This is especially sad for the
> > special interfaces that clamp to the back of the Mac (like Assimilation's MIDI).
	Here is a reply to your Out-dated cable complaint straight form
the Apple new product announcement.......
 --  Macintosh Plus Peripheral Adapter Cable.  This cable allows users to
     connect the Macintosh Plus to popular third-party peripherals without
     discarding their old cables. It can also be used to attach peripherals
     previously used with the Macintosh 128K or 512K. This cable is included in
     the Macintosh Plus Logic Board Upgrade Kit and can also be ordered as a
     service part number (699-0372) from your Apple Support Center.

	Peter Espen