[net.micro.mac] FPack for Macintosh

sbm@purdue.UUCP (Steven B. Munson) (01/10/86)

In article <8081@amdcad.UUCP>, jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) writes:
> Gary Perlman posted a program for Unix and MSDOS called fpack to
> mod.sources recently. This program packs text files for transmission to
> micros without the benefit of sh or unshar.

     I hope no one is planning to use this for posting to net.sources.mac.
We have packit already, and I prefer to do all the file munging and
unpacking on UNIX.  Once something gets downloaded to the Mac, those
teeny-tiny disks make it very time-consuming to do further conversions.

					Steve Munson
					sbm@Purdue.EDU
					sbm@Purdue.CSNET

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (01/17/86)

In article <1113@arthur.purdue.UUCP> sbm@purdue.UUCP (Steven B. Munson) writes:
>In article <8081@amdcad.UUCP>, jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) writes:
>> Gary Perlman posted a program for Unix and MSDOS called fpack to
>> mod.sources recently. This program packs text files for transmission to
>> micros without the benefit of sh or unshar.
>
>     I hope no one is planning to use this for posting to net.sources.mac.
>We have packit already, and I prefer to do all the file munging and
>unpacking on UNIX.  Once something gets downloaded to the Mac, those
>teeny-tiny disks make it very time-consuming to do further conversions.

Not to be to obvious about it, but the original posting did say *text* files.
Now for an example:  Hack for Unix came over the net a while back, in a group
of shar archives.  Now how do I transport those source to the Mac? I
unshar them, then I macput -u each one of them???? That's how I did it a year
ago.

Now if you want to write a packit compatible Unix program which can unpack
and pack packit files on Unix, go ahead.  Or if you want to write a /bin/sh
compatible unpacker for the Mac, go ahead.  Meanwhile, the next time a shar
archive full of source code I want to port to my Mac comes along, I will
unshar it on my Unix system, fpack the files into a smaller number of
files, and macput -u those to the Mac where I can unfpack them and begin
porting.

( and yes, I know about macsend *; I prefer a this.)
--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

bart@reed.UUCP (Bart Massey) (01/20/86)

> Now for an example:  Hack for Unix came over the net a while back, in a group
> of shar archives.  Now how do I transport those source to the Mac? I
> unshar them, then I macput -u each one of them???? That's how I did it a year
> ago.
>
> Now if you want to write a packit compatible Unix program which can unpack
> and pack packit files on Unix, go ahead.  Or if you want to write a /bin/sh
> compatible unpacker for the Mac, go ahead.  Meanwhile, the next time a shar
> archive full of source code I want to port to my Mac comes along, I will
> unshar it on my Unix system, fpack the files into a smaller number of
> files, and macput -u those to the Mac where I can unfpack them and begin
> porting.
>
>  Jim Budler

Obviously what is desperately needed is C source for:

	A two-way xbin (to and from binhex format on a Unix machine)
	A two-way packit (to and from packit format on a Unix machine)

Neither of these is non-trivial, obviously.  The hacks to binx (un-xbin)
a file that came over the net a while ago would be a good start on this
one.  The other would have to be written from scratch.  Any takers?

BTW, if the BinHex5.0 file format is ever universally adopted, it could
solve the problem with appropriate (fairly simple) hacks to macput and
macget, as it provides for a limited form of batch transfer...

						Bart Massey
						..tektronix!reed!bart

sbm@purdue.UUCP (Steve Munson) (01/21/86)

In article <8388@amdcad.UUCP>, jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) writes:
> ...Now how do I transport those source to the Mac? I
> unshar them, then I macput -u each one of them????

     Geez, I must be confused.  If you know how to use the shell, you
say

	for file in *
	do
		macput -u $file
	done

right?  The point is that unsharing on UNIX and downloading scores of
files at once to the Macintosh is easy (can be done automatically).
Anything that gets in the way of this process, like packit or any
Macintosh file munger without a UNIX equivalent, is a hindrance.  Once a
large file gets to the Macintosh, it becomes much more difficult to
convert further.

> Now if you want to write a packit compatible Unix program which can unpack
> and pack packit files on Unix, go ahead.

     I wish someone would, or even better yet, stop posting packitted
files; use shar instead (I know, not as much data compression).

> Or if you want to write a /bin/sh
> compatible unpacker for the Mac, go ahead.

     That would be a waste of time, and, as I understand it, that is
what you are doing, right?

     Am I missing something really obvious here?
--
					Steve Munson
					sbm@Purdue.EDU

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (01/22/86)

In article <450@mordred.purdue.UUCP> sbm@purdue.UUCP (Steve Munson) writes:
>In article <8388@amdcad.UUCP>, jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) writes:
>> ...Now how do I transport those source to the Mac? I
>> unshar them, then I macput -u each one of them????
>
>     Geez, I must be confused.  If you know how to use the shell, you
>say
>right?  The point is that unsharing on UNIX and downloading scores of
>files at once to the Macintosh is easy (can be done automatically).
>Anything that gets in the way of this process, like packit or any
>Macintosh file munger without a UNIX equivalent, is a hindrance.  Once a
>large file gets to the Macintosh, it becomes much more difficult to
>convert further.
>
>> Now if you want to write a packit compatible Unix program which can unpack
>> and pack packit files on Unix, go ahead.
>
>     I wish someone would, or even better yet, stop posting packitted
>files; use shar instead (I know, not as much data compression).
>
>> Or if you want to write a /bin/sh
>> compatible unpacker for the Mac, go ahead.
>
>     That would be a waste of time, and, as I understand it, that is
>what you are doing, right?
>
>     Am I missing something really obvious here?

I'll try one more time.

There are many reasons to prefer a package over a scad of individual file
transfers.

	1)	I may not be attempting to port the code immediately and
thirty source files sitting around with relatively (outside the context of
the program) incomprehensible names like 'tty.c' sitting on a disk is
much less desirable than one file 'Hack.fpack'.  Two years later I can browse
the directory of that disk and know what that file is.

	2)	Using your suggestion if one of the files in the middle bombs
the transfer, and I'm not attending the transfer closely, I may not know
exactly what I lost.  I prefer the overhead of retransmitting a large file
more than once to the overhead of examining all files to determine what I lost.

	3)	When I'm porting code to the mac I prefer to keep the original
code around in case I really blow it and want to revert.  You can keep a
disk with the original code on it ( I often do ) or you can keep the original
archive disk ( packit of fpack ) around and just (with fpack) remove or rename
the offending file and unpack again it will only unpack nonexisting files. I
know, if I plan ahead and keep the file I'm modifying around with a backup name
(such as file.c.00) I don't need to do this.  But at some point I will decide I don't need that on the disk and throw it away.  Murphy's law guarantees that I
will want that file the next day.

	4)	I don't know if you  work with only one disk or what, but I
generally find unpacking packit files or fpack files on the mac to be little
problem.  I find sitting around the mac watching the little meter inch its way
towards 100 percent to be much more painful.

On your comments concerning packit, you should remember that packit is not a
Unix developed program, and many of the programs that come packited originated
in places where Unix is not spoken.  The alternative to packit would require
that a person developing or transmitting mac developed programs send them
individually to Unix, and either sending a scad of posted files or sharing
together.  The recent 1040 files posted ( 7 of them ) would have been a much
larger number of postings if packit hadn't been used.  If shar had been used
autoxbin wouldn't work.

If you don't like it, don't use it.  If someone ever posts something
using it just fire up your editor on unix, search for 'fpack:!@#$%' and split
the file.

I use it, other people set me letters of thanks, so they use it, so as far as
I'm concerned the posting was totally justified.  Bye.
--

In article <8568@amdcad.UUCP> jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) writes:
>In article <450@mordred.purdue.UUCP> sbm@purdue.UUCP (Steve Munson) writes:
>>In article <8388@amdcad.UUCP>, jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) writes:
>>Anything that gets in the way of this process, like packit or any
>>Macintosh file munger without a UNIX equivalent, is a hindrance.  Once a
>>large file gets to the Macintosh, it becomes much more difficult to
>>convert further.

P.S.  THERE is a Unix equivalent to fpack, it came first.  see mod.sources.