[net.micro.mac] "FastMac" 68020 from Levco: info?

borton@sdcc3.UUCP (Chris Borton) (01/18/86)

I was told today that Levco announced their 'FastMac' that is running a 68020
at MacWorld Expo yesterday.  I think it has 4M RAM with an MMU.  Supply is
obviously limited, with a high price tag.

None of this information is confirmed, but I hope someone out there can post
some info/specs on this new wonder, as well as the HyperDrive 2000.

MacWonders keep coming...

--Chris
-----------------
Chris Borton, UC San Diego Undergraduate CS
Micro Consultant, UCSD

borton@ucsd.ARPA     or  ...!{ucbvax,decvax,noscvax,ihnp4,bang}!sdcsvax!borton

espen@well.UUCP (Peter Espen) (01/20/86)

In article <3140@sdcc3.UUCP>, borton@sdcc3.UUCP (Chris Borton) writes:
> I was told today that Levco announced their 'FastMac' that is running a 68020
> at MacWorld Expo yesterday.  I think it has 4M RAM with an MMU.  Supply is
> obviously limited, with a high price tag.
>
> None of this information is confirmed, but I hope someone out there can post
> some info/specs on this new wonder, as well as the HyperDrive 2000.
>
> MacWonders keep coming...
>
> --Chris
> -----------------
> Chris Borton, UC San Diego Undergraduate CS
> Micro Consultant, UCSD
>
> borton@ucsd.ARPA     or  ...!{ucbvax,decvax,noscvax,ihnp4,bang}!sdcsvax!borton
	I talked to the people at the Levco booth and got all there
spec sheets, here is a section from there spec sheet.....

	The MacSuper 20 series combines the high-end MC68020 processor,
the MC68881 floating point arithmetic co-processor, and four megabytes of
RAM with the Macintosh, producing the most powerful personal computer
available. Running at 16Mhz, and using a full 32-bit wide data path, the
MacSuper 20 easily quadruples the speed and revolutionizes the performance
of the Mac, making it ideal for sophisticated software and specialized
applications.
	There is no MMU on the board. All the Ram is accessed without
wait states, making for very fast ram access cycle times.
	The board mounts on the Mac in the same manner as their 2 Meg
upgrade boards. The onboard 68000 is completely disabled and the only thing
the  Mac Motherboard ram is used for is video and I/o stuff.
	The current price of the board is around $8000-$9000 (Levco said
the 68020 chip alone is costing them $500), but this proice should drop
as the cost of the 68020/68881 and the one meg ram chips fall in price.

	Peter Espen

u545601551ea@ucdavis.UUCP (u545601551ea) (01/23/86)

> I was told today that Levco announced their 'FastMac' that is running a 68020
> at MacWorld Expo yesterday.  I think it has 4M RAM with an MMU.  Supply is
> obviously limited, with a high price tag.
>
> None of this information is confirmed, but I hope someone out there can post
> some info/specs on this new wonder...
>

> --Chris
> -----------------
> Chris Borton, UC San Diego Undergraduate CS
> Micro Consultant, UCSD
	I saw the beast at the Expo run up against a 68000.  They were both
running a program that displayed and rotated a spherical star map.  I don't know
the exact ratios, but the Levco machine looked about 3X as fast as the 68K.
Levco's machine(called the MacSuper 20 FP) does have 4 MBytes of RAM, but
the disks weren't whirring on either machine.
	The MacSuper 20 FP uses the 68020 and a 68881 Floating Point Coprocessor. The 68881 is directly supported by the 68020; whereas, a 68000 treats the
68881 as a peripheral. The following is from a flyer I got at the show:

		"The new Macintosh ROMs understand the 68020 and its differences 		with the 68000.  A special software flag is available to detect 		the type of processor to take advantage of the extra
		capabilities that the 68020 offers.  All software written
		according to the Macintosh guidelines will operate properly on
		the MacSuper 20 FP."

Sorry, but, being a poor student, I avoid looking a price tags...

Another nice thing about the 68020 is that it "remembers" the "last several
instructions" that it did; if it needs them again, it doesn't have to go to
memory.  This and 16MHz speed  things up a bit.
	Levco's flyer has quite a bit of info. about the 68020 and 68881; if
there is a demand, I'll post it all(about 4 pages).

J.P. (Jon P. Gorrono at deneb at UC at Davis)