[net.micro.mac] Wanted Driver for TEK 4010 terminal

berry@tolerant.UUCP (David Berry) (01/22/86)

> Could somebody out there send me a UNIX PLOT compatible device
> driver (source ) for a TEK 4010 graphics terminal. (NOT 4014 terminal)
> Thanks in advance......  Ramesh @ AMD Sunnyvale, CA

	Actually it would probably be appreciated if such a thing
were posted to net.sources.mac.  Obviously I speak primarily for
myself, but I'm sure there are a great number of uw users out there
who would also appreciate it.

	[sorry if you've seen this once before...]
--

	David W. Berry
	{ucbvax,pyramid,idsvax,bene,oliveb}!tolerant!berry

	I'm only here for the beer.

mrl@oddjob.UUCP (Scott R. Anderson) (01/24/86)

In article <248@tolerant.UUCP> berry@tolerant.UUCP (David Berry) writes:
>	Actually it would probably be appreciated if such a thing
>were posted to net.sources.mac.  Obviously I speak primarily for
>myself, but I'm sure there are a great number of uw users out there
>who would also appreciate it.

If I am reading this correctly, what is wanted is the ability to
use the Unix plot(1,3x,5) routines with a Mac 4010 emulator (if
the emulator itself is wanted, that's another story).  There are
only a few simple changes that I have found necessary to use the
4014 routines with our 4010 emulators.  The major one is that you
must use a different label() subroutine than that supplied with
plot(3x); this is because the standard version makes use of the
4014 incremental plot mode to "center" the label (to write symbols)
and the 4010 doesn't understand this.  The fix is to use your own
label routine, e.g.

label(s)
    char *s;
{
    (void) putchar('\037');
    while (*s)
	(void) putchar(*s++);
}

The 4014 also uses 2 extra bits of information because of its 4x
resolution, but if these are initialized properly, they do not need
to be sent and therefore will not confuse the 4014 emulator.  I do
this with a simple "move(0, 0, 4096, 4096)" before I try to draw
anything.  Otherwise, the first vector you draw may not be what you
expect.

The other thing to remember is that the 4010 has only one line type,
so that you shouldn't try to use the linemod() subroutine.
--

					Scott Anderson
					ihnp4!oddjob!kaos!sra