[net.micro.mac] Delphi Digest Volume 2 Issue 3

shulman@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Jeff Shulman) (01/27/86)

Delphi Digest          Sunday, 26 Jan 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 3

Today's Topics:
     ISAM
     RE: ISAM (Re: Msg 5056)
     RE: ISAM (Re: Msg 5056)
     HFS SFGetFile
     Macintosh Plus
     RE: Portable User Interface Library
     More Expo News
     3rd party 512K upgrade & new ROM
     RE: 3rd party 512K upgrade & new ROM (Re: Msg 5241)
     RE: 3rd party 512K upgrade & new ROM (Re: Msg 5255)
     Canadian Macs
     To Jason Haines
     MicahDrive
     How to set volume in SF dialogs
     RE: How to set volume in SF dialogs (Re: Msg 5287)
     Mute Mac
     Attention KMART shoppers

From: SBOAG (5056)
Subject: ISAM
Date: 12-JAN 01:31 Programming

I am looking for descriptions, information, etc. on indexed sequentialaccess
method file systems.  Any BOOK titles or magizine issues would be much
appreciated.
THANKS -- Scott Boag

------------------------------

From: INTECO (5066)
Subject: RE: ISAM (Re: Msg 5056)
Date: 12-JAN 18:55 Programming

A quite extensive book on this subject is:

Database Design, Gio Wiederhold, McGRAW-HILL 1983, ISBN 07-066638-5

-ugo

------------------------------

From: ASMCOR (5078)
Date: 13-JAN 01:53 Programming

There's a book by Purdum, Leslie and Stegmoller, published by Que, called the C
programmer's library which has a complete ISAM in C.
Jan

------------------------------

From: JEFFS (5064)
Subject: HFS SFGetFile
Date: 12-JAN 15:19 Bugs & Features

Anyone try using the HFS SFGetFile yet?  According to the document "The New,
Improved SFP" in the HFS PP you are *supposed* to get the following:
1. Fake item 103 when a folder is opened;
2. reply record set accordingly when a folder is opened (they use rName and
rType when I believe they should be using fName and fType.)
3. Item 100 returned when no event has taken place.

Well, I get:
1. No item 103 no matter what I do
2. The reply record fields are not set as described
3. Item 100 is still only returned (the first time) when a disk is inserted.

I am using the HFS Startup disk supplied with the HFS PP on an HFS formatted
floppy.

What I *really* need is to know when something is SELECTED from the new
directory menu.  Item 102 *is* returned when you button the item but I need to
know when something is selected.  I had hoped that item 103 would work but I
can't seem to generate one (I need to know if *any* item is selected in that
menu, either a folder OR the volume.)  Any ideas?

                                                               Jeff

------------------------------

From: PEABO (5177)
Subject: Macintosh Plus
Date: 17-JAN 00:54 Hardware & Peripherals

OK, folks here's the scoop on the Mac Plus.  As an exhibitor, ICONtact was able
to acquire a Mac Plus, and so we have had a chance to look at the real thing.

It was packaged as a Mac box with an accessory kit (system disks, power cord,
all sorts of redundant <grin> instructions which we were supposed to read
first), and two adaptor cables to convert the new round "DIN-like" plugs to
DB-9's (of course those adaptors will not generate +5 or +12 on the pins of the
DB-9 where the ordinary Macs have them, so you are out of luck if you need to
see power voltages there ...)

We immediately connected the thing to the HD-20 which I had converted
to the Finder 5.1 and System 3.0 release previously, and powered up.
There is a longer delay during memory test, and then ... foosh ---
boot directly from HD-20, clean as a whistle.  Pretty fast, too!
(Benchmarks will have to wait until we get more time to examine
performance in a controlled environment.)

The 800K floppy drive works just fine, but sounds a lot different ...
it has more of a hard disk actuator sound when seeking (probably a
voice coil actuator instead of a lead screw), and also makes an very
different kerchunk when a disk is loaded or ejected.  A single sided
SONY worked just fine during a double sided initialization.  The Disk
Init dialog box now gives threee choices instead of two ... Eject, One
Side, and Two Side.

Keycaps shows the entire keyboard (including numeric keypad and cursor arrow
keys (they are at the lower right of the main keyboard rank, and are in an L
shaped formation ... left, right, down, and up, with up above down).

The Control Panel is completely different ... it has an AppleTalk On/Off
control, the sound level, mouse 1:1 mode is now called "tablet", there is no
timer set function (I guess that is in the Alarm Clock or somewhere), and there
is no menu blink control.

The Scrapbook was unimaginative <sigh>.

Notepad was optional ... there is more to be gleaned from the collection of
files supplied on the system disk, but we have packed the new machine safely
back into its shipping box, preparatory to coming back home.

Oh yeah ... there *is* a disk cache, variable in size from 32K to 768K ... this
will make performance testing much more "interesting".

Switcher does not work very well with HFS ... don't use it!

There is a SCSI port, but we haven't got any SCSI devices to attach to
it, so we can only assume it works.  The audio port is next to the
mouse port now.

We did *not* attempt to open the case!

peter

------------------------------

From: PEABO (5201)
Subject: RE: Portable User Interface Library
Date: 18-JAN 02:30 Mousing Around

The CadMac is a UNIX-based multiprogramming machine with a source
compatible Mac interface (i.e., you can write programs with not very
much modification, which when compiled, will run as if they were Mac
applications).

It uses a concept similar to panes in that all the windows belonging to one
context are brough to the front of a context stack which surrounds the stack of
windows of each context, whenever any window in a pane is brought to the front.

peter

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (5207)
Subject: More Expo News
Date: 18-JAN 11:17 Macintosh In Fact

Hi all from S.F.!  Well it doesn't look like we got to do these daily
updates as thought, sorry.  But some of the highlights of the expo
were:

a LOT of scuzzi drives which are VERY fast, IOmega, Levco, etc...

Finder 5.1 and up will have new things for the menus:  if you fill up the fonts
on the bottom, it will jump back to the top on the next line, hence, two column
menus!

OVERvue will cease copy protection in about 2 weeks

We met a lot of the big wigs last night at the MAUG party in the Ramada.
Dvorak, Brothers, Hertzfeld, Capps, LePage, etc. A mess 'o new utilites, etc.

Three new Paint programs (btw, MacPaint/Write are no longer bundled
with the new Mac).  Anyway, SuperPaint from Silicon Beach looks hot,
could be same with Ann Arbors FullPaint, Ann Arbors is basicly done,
Silicon's got a little while but may be worth the wait.  We'll see...
Also from Penquins Polarware: Graphics Magician for the Mac!  stay t
uned for Paint Wars!

For you game fanatics: Orbiter isn't done yet, Fusilade and MacWars
(Miles) look good both.

I think that's it for now (whew!).

More tomorrow or after we get back.

MacInTouch (Ford, LePage, Inc.  - I'm the Inc.)

Josh

------------------------------

From: RONB (5241)
Subject: 3rd party 512K upgrade & new ROM
Date: 20-JAN 18:40 Hardware & Peripherals

Does anyone know if the disk drive + ROM upgrade path involves swaping
the logic board? A friend is wondering if getting a 3rd party 128->512
upgrade will close the door on the disk drive + ROM upgrade path.
Thanks for your collective advice.  Ron.

------------------------------

From: DWB (5255)
Subject: RE: 3rd party 512K upgrade & new ROM (Re: Msg 5241)
Date: 21-JAN 05:23 Hardware & Peripherals

There are basically several levels of upgrade available.  The ROM/disk
upgrade is the most basic level of upgrade and therefore shouldn't
require a logic board swap.  I really couldn't say how sticky Apple is
going to get about upgrading 3rd part y changes.  (I'm hoping they
won't be at all stick as I just bought a Levco Monster Mac 2 Meg
upgrade, watch me fly now.)

------------------------------

From: SGARFIELD (5261)
Subject: RE: 3rd party 512K upgrade & new ROM (Re: Msg 5255)
Date: 21-JAN 20:42 Hardware & Peripherals

Apple will require the dealers to send back a working, non-modified logic board
for credit.  So, if you upgrade did not desolder, cut, hack, or saw the logic
board - you should be able to trade it in for the 1 meg upgrade. But, if it has
been 'hacked to death' you will be able to upgrade at the 128K price. --Steve

------------------------------

From: SOUTHWORTH (5259)
Subject: Canadian Macs
Date: 21-JAN 20:05 Developer's Corner

Has anybody had any problems running programs on Macs sold in Canada?
Specifically, we seem to be getting huge numbers of extra interrupts generated
on RS-232 I/O when running at high speed, which are interfering with the
operation of our MIDI program. The problem seems to be limited to certain
Macintoshes sold in the Toronto area. We know it's not an Appletalk problem.
Anybody else who has experienced this please EMAIL to SOUTHWORTH. Thanks, Paul
Lehrman

------------------------------

From: ASMCOR (5267)
Subject: To Jason Haines
Date: 21-JAN 23:04 Mousing Around

Forget it, just use the launch call itself, it's easy. *lrecptr is a pointer to
a launch record, the rest is obvious
Here's some code that'll do it.

          SetPt(&pnt,90,120);
          SFGetFile(&pnt,"",NULL,ntypes,&typelist,NULL,&freply);
          if (freply.good)
               {
                   (*lrecptr).filename = &freply.fName;
                   (*lrecptr).config = 0;
                   if(!SetVol(NULL,freply.vRefNum))
                       launch(lrecptr);
               }

  Jan

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (5278)
Subject: MicahDrive
Date: 22-JAN 02:52 Hardware & Peripherals

Here are some details on MicahDrive, which was introduced at Mac Expo, and is
expected to ship Feb. 10.  I am doing the software for Micah on a contract
basis.

It's an internal 10MB or 20MB disk for the 512K Mac (either old or new ROMs) or
Mac Plus.  It attaches to the 68000 via a clip, and there is a daughterboard
which plugs into the Apple ROM sockets (the Apple ROMs go into the
daughterboard).  The disk/controller/power supply/fan are contained in a single
unit which attaches via screws into holes already available in the Mac chassis;
the power supply leads clip to the A.C.  No soldering is required for
installation.  Micah claims it is user-installable (which I personally think is
dumb, and in fact intstallation will be by dealers since Micah is selling
through dealers).  There is a one-year warranty.

It supports HFS and boots directly from the hard disk.  It is probably the
fastest internal hard disk available -- I can't be sure of that, but I'm sure
none is faster (excepting those tied to souped-up 680x0 CPUs).  In particular,
it is faster than the current HyperDrive.  MicahDrive uses 1:1 sector
interleaving (in other words, no interleaving), which means it transfers an
entire disk track to/from the Mac in one revolution of the disk.  Its data
transfer rate is 2 to 4 times faster than any external hard disk which uses the
SCSI software in Apple 128K ROMs.

When the disk is first initialized, you have one big HFS volume
(hereinafter referred to as the master volume).  In order to
accommodate older non-HFS- compatible software, and to enable booting
directly for 512K Macs with 64K ROMs, up to 31 MFS subvolumes may be
created.  (Actually, subvolumes can be HFS too, but I haven't yet
thought of a reason anyone would want an HFS subvolume).  The size of
subvolume is chosen when it is created, and remains fixed for the life
of the subvolume (except I may do a utility -- not for initial
shipment -- which reduces the size of a subvolume if it has contiguous
free space at the end.)  The space for the subvolume is taken from the
master volume -- the master volume's free space will decrease by the
size of the new subvolume.  When a subvolume is deleted, the space is
returned to the master volume.

Any volume may be designated as the boot volume, and any set of volumes may be
designated to be auto-mounted at startup.

The driver is in ROM (a Micah ROM, not Apple's ROM); hence very little system
heap space is consumed.  Note that the default system heap size on a Mac Plus,
45.75K, is smaller than on 512K Macs; Apple did this to provide compatibility
with certain ill-behaved but popular software (by making the application heap
start at the same address).

The MicahManager program is used to create/delete subvolumes, specify
the boot and auto-mount volumes, format/test the disk (if necessary;
it is delivered pre- formatted); and install the Mount desk accessory
in a system file.  The Mount DA is used to mount/dismount volumes.

A MicahDrive backup/restore program is under development (not by me); it's
specified to do complete or incremental backups on a volume/folder/file basis.

------------------------------

From: MARSHG (5287)
Subject: How to set volume in SF dialogs
Date: 23-JAN 01:55 Programming

I want to set the volume when displaying a SFPutFile dialog rather than using
the last volume that was opened.  Anybody know how to do this??

Thanks.
Marsh Gosnell

------------------------------

From: BILLS (5290)
Subject: RE: How to set volume in SF dialogs (Re: Msg 5287)
Date: 23-JAN 02:21 Programming

System Global SFSaveDisk (=$214) is a word containing the last vRefNum (or
WDRefnum...) that sf has seen.  Replace it with whatever you want.

Bill S

ps Although SFSaveDisk is not found the in very lastest set of equates, tech
support indicates that it is ok to use.

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER (5296)
Subject: Mute Mac
Date: 23-JAN 22:41 Hardware & Peripherals

Just a brief note.  Picked up my Mac+ today at my friendly neighborhood
dealer...very nice.  Alas, unlike those at the Expo, the Macs are being shipped
without adapter cables to the serial ports.  I called Apple, and the first
customer support person claimed that they WERE shipped with the adapters,
checked with someone else, and then said the adapters were a "service part".
The manual gives part #699-0372, "Macintosh Plus Peripheral Adapter" as the
right thing...no price known as yet.  So it goes.  Alf.

------------------------------

From: RAYSANDERS (5331)
Subject: Attention KMART shoppers
Date: 25-JAN 20:44 Hardware & Peripherals

Attention K-MART shoppers:  (and all that jazz too)

Interesting observations (part 2):

Today I got my first hands on look at a Mac+ logic card, There is an
interesting area in the upper left corner of the card that reads "RAM
SIZE", in it are two choices, one labled "256K BIT" which was jumpered
with a resistor, and the other labled "ONE ROW" which had no jumper. I
speculated as to what the ONE ROW jumper is for. Could there be a 512k
Mac+ in the future (as soon as Apple exhausts the existing inventory)
? If anyone has any info please pass it on.

The dealer received two Mac+'s late Friday and set them both up Saturday
morning. They installed the developer's switch in both. All during the day both
machines would randomly re-boot. The only common factor was that it happened
when the table was bumped or some other disturbance of that ilk. On a hunch we
removed the developer's switch from both and the re-booting ceased. Could there
be a clearance problem between the developer's switch and the new logic board.
Has anyone else run into this?

Ray Sanders

End of Delphi Digest