[net.micro.mac] HD-20 Test question

harrow@exodus.DEC (Jeff Harrow, NCSE LKG1-3/F16 DTN=226-7445) (01/18/86)

After reading the comment someone made that you could get more options/info
from the HD20  Test  program  supplied on the HD20 Startup disk, I tried it
out by hitting COMMAND-D at it's initial dialog box.

Sure enough, it gave  me  some  windows that looked interesting, but when I
hit START, the system BOMBed, and did this every time I tried.

Has anyone else tried this and been successful?

Jeff

borton@sdcc3.UUCP (Chris Borton) (01/18/86)

In article <536@decwrl.DEC.COM> harrow@exodus.DEC (Jeff Harrow, NCSE LKG1-3/F16 DTN=226-7445) writes:
>After reading the comment someone made that you could get more options/info
>from the HD20  Test  program  supplied on the HD20 Startup disk, I tried it
>out by hitting COMMAND-D at it's initial dialog box.
>
>Sure enough, it gave  me  some  windows that looked interesting, but when I
>hit START, the system BOMBed, and did this every time I tried.
>
>Has anyone else tried this and been successful?
>
>Jeff

I tried it and it worked fine.  For those curious, if you hit Cmd-D at the
initial dialog box on the HD20 test it then shows two windows: one has boxes
containing Block Count, Iteration, Soft Rate, Hard Rate, Comm Rate, Loops,
Total Blocks, and Failure Code.  There is also a radio button labelled Dstrct
which, I believe, will allow you to reformat the hard disk.  The program also
creates a document file that has a log of the tests done and the results.

I'm not sure if it matters in this case, but I'm using System 3.0/Finder 5.1.
One curious thing I found is that to redo the DeskTop file I can't have the
hard disk as the boot volume, for when it is done redoing the DeskTop it goes
out to lunch and never comes back.  Booting the HD20 Startup disk with mouse
down and Cmd-Opt after the floppy is mounted will redo the hard disk correctly.
Incidentally, this is a good thing to do every 2 weeks since my last time I
retrieved 77K!

As for parking the heads being necessary, can someone at Apple or in the know
comment?  I would feel much happier if I KNEW safeties were provided for.
The glaring lack of any backup facility for the HD20 doesn't make me feel
that 'Apple knows best' in this case at all.

A salesman at a local computer store told me yesterday when questioned about
SCSI 'upgrades' for the HD20 that it was already built in, and could simply
be plugged in as is.  This is very well done, if it is correct.

Happy Maccing!

--Chris
---------

Chris Borton, UC San Diego Undergraduate CS
Micro Consultant, UCSD

borton@ucsd.ARPA     or  ...!{ucbvax,decvax,noscvax,ihnp4,bang}!sdcsvax!borton

derek@psych.uq.oz (Derek Austin) (01/27/86)

In article <536@decwrl.DEC.COM> harrow@exodus.DEC (Jeff Harrow, NCSE LKG1-3/F16 DTN=226-7445) writes:

> [ Re: the HD20 test program ]
>Sure enough, it gave  me  some  windows that looked interesting, but when I
>hit START, the system BOMBed, and did this every time I tried.

It bombed for me too.  I was extremely unimpressed with the absence of any
documentation for useful features of the HD-20 Test program which obviously
exist.  Especially as the disk I was trying to test kept passing the
15 minute diagnostic check with no problems.  After a lot of persistence,
it eventually failed the test and I had a reason to return it to the
supplier for replacement.

Has anyone else come across a situation where the HD-20 finishes its
initialisation, prompts for the name of the disk, but then fails to
appear as an icon on the desk top?

Derek Austin
ACSnet:	derek@psych.uq.oz	ARPA:	derek%psych.uq.oz@seismo.css.gov
CSNET:	derek@psych.uq.oz	UUCP:	..!seismo!munnari!psych.uq.oz!derek