[net.micro.mac] Mac network question

bmac1@ssc-bee.UUCP (Keith Pratt) (01/23/86)

Hello everybody,

I am looking for somebody with a little more experience than I have to
answer questions about networking Mac's together.  We are going to
receive in the near future 10 Mac's, 5 Imagewriters, and 1
LaserWriter.

I understand that I can use Appletalk to network the Mac's in order to
share the LaserWriter.  Is there a better network than Appletalk to do
this?

Also, how can I take advantage of a network to share the Imagewriters?
Or should I just settle for A/B switches to share 5 printers among 10
Mac's.

Any and all responses will be appreciated.

Keith Pratt
(206)-241-3387

!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ssc-bee!bmac1

tohaapanen@watrose.UUCP (Tom Haapanen) (01/27/86)

In article <465@ssc-bee.UUCP> bmac1@ssc-bee.UUCP (Keith Pratt) writes:

>I am looking for somebody with a little more experience than I have to
>answer questions about networking Mac's together.  We are going to
>receive in the near future 10 Mac's, 5 Imagewriters, and 1
>LaserWriter.
>
>I understand that I can use Appletalk to network the Mac's in order to
>share the LaserWriter.  Is there a better network than Appletalk to do
>this?

I have a question myself, too: with the advent of the Mac+, there is
real potential here for BUSINESS APPLICATIONS.  However, can somebody
tell me whether Appletalk allows file sharing on a SCSI drive (need a
20M - 30M drive for the application I have in mind)?  If so, does it
allow file locking (this would be ok) or record locking (this would be
REALLY nice).  We're talking shared databases here --- can the
Mac+/Appletalk/SCSI combination handle this?  A Mac+ would be a lot
more attractive from a user perspective than an ASCII terminal...

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watrose!haapanen
I'm all lost in the Supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
Guaranteed personality				 (c) The Clash, 1979