[net.micro.mac] Fade to Black: A desk accessory

blm@cxsea.UUCP (Brian Matthews) (01/24/86)

Posted to net.sources.mac is my first real attempt at Mac programming, Fade
to Black.  It is yet another "Sleep" program, but with some advantages over
previously posted ones.  Specifically:

    1.  The first time the desk accessory is opened, it installs its INIT
        resource in the System file, so it's always available.

    2.  Fade to Black fades automatically when a certain amount of time
        since the last keystroke or mouse button click has occurred, but
        can also be invoked manually.

    3.  The time delay is configurable in minutes or seconds, with a delay
	anywhere from five seconds to almost 600000 minutes (about a year
	and a month).

    4.  The values are stored permanently.

    5.  If the desk accessory is removed, the INIT resource removes itself
	the next time that disk is booted.

    6.  Fade to Black isn't overly large (about 1.7K), and will work with
        software like the Switcher, MiniFinder and MacTerminal.

Feel free to pass this around, or upload it to bulletin boards or other
networks, as long as you give out both the desk accessory and the
documentation, don't modify the desk accessorie's dialog, don't attempt to
sell it, and don't use it as an inducement to buy something else.

There's no fee for using Fade to Black, although I'll gladly accept whatever
you think it's worth to you.  If you do send money, it will be appreciated,
but if you don't, continue to use Fade and to give it to your friends.  My
address is:

Brian L. Matthews
10513 SE 219th St.
Kent, WA  98031

I'd also appreciate any questions or comments from anyone who uses Fade.
You can reply directly to this article, or mail to the address given below.

Enjoy!
--

Brian L. Matthews
...{ihnp4!utzoo!mnetor,uw-beaver!ssc-vax}!cxsea!cxsea2!arrakis!blm

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (01/27/86)

> Posted to net.sources.mac is my first real attempt at Mac programming, Fade
> to Black.  It is yet another "Sleep" program, but with some advantages over
> previously posted ones.  Specifically:

I downloaded it and moved it with Font/DA Mover into a system file
on a ram disk (Assimilation Process).  Worked fine, and it's just what
is needed (a screen saver that triggers automatically after no activity
for a while, but does not leave the screen completely black).

So then I moved it into a system file on a real disk, and rebooted to
see if it still worked.

	Sad Mac!

Booting from another disk, I tried to remove Fade To Black from the system
file but Font/DA Mover wouldn't open it.

My guess is that there is some problem of interaction between INIT's,
since Fade worked fine from the ram disk system (which does not become
available until all INIT's are already executed).

Anybody else get it to work with AP ram disk?
--

Paul DuBois     {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois        --+--

   "We are all catastrophists now."                                 |