[net.micro.mac] Drives to the left

chuq@sun.UUCP (01/24/86)

> > Why not put the drive on the left?  It's that way on my Mac in the office
> > and on one at home.  Haven't noticed any problems. (I'm right handed and
> > this leaves room to mouse around on the right side.)
>
> It is a bad idea (says Apple, I havn't tried it) to put the drive on the
> left because of magnetic interference from the power supply.

Three problems:
    o the power supply will mung disks (as above)
    o you block important cooling ports to the mac, causing (more) overheating
    o if you have the programmer switch in, you can reboot your machine
	while changing disks (I occasionally hit it with my foot while
	playing rogue, unfortunatley... not recommended)

--
:From catacombs of Castle Tarot:        Chuq Von Rospach
sun!chuq@decwrl.DEC.COM                 {hplabs,ihnp4,nsc,pyramid}!sun!chuq

It's not looking, it's heat seeking.

rec@mplvax.ARPA (Richard Currier) (01/27/86)

In article <3191@sun.uucp> chuq@sun.uucp (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>    o if you have the programmer switch in, you can reboot your machine
>	while changing disks (I occasionally hit it with my foot while
>	playing rogue, unfortunatley... not recommended)

Are you sure thats your foot Chuq ??? B-) B-) B-)
--

	richard currier		marine physical lab	u.c. san diego
	{ihnp4|decvax|akgua|dcdwest|ucbvax}	!sdcsvax!mplvax!rec