[net.micro.mac] Need help with Red Ryder 7.0

comt-ms@infsc3.hatpoly.UUCP (Paul Skuce) (01/20/86)

We are evaluating Red Ryder 7.0 as an alternative to MacTerminal 1.21.
Please could someone tell us how to macput/macget with Red Ryder.
		Thank you
			Paul Skuce
route from US ..!seismo!mcvax!ukc!reading!hatpoly
route from Europe ..!ukc!reading!hatpoly

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (01/22/86)

In article <338@infsc3.hatpoly.UUCP> comt-ms@infsc3.UUCP (Paul Skuce) writes:

>We are evaluating Red Ryder 7.0 as an alternative to MacTerminal 1.21.
>Please could someone tell us how to macput/macget with Red Ryder.

You can't.   macput and macget talk specifically to the macintosh variation
of xmodem protocol.

Versaterm is supposed to the macintosh style.

MacTerminal 2.0 is out.
--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

paluzzi@oddjob.UUCP (Greg Hajek) (01/23/86)

In article <8563@amdcad.UUCP> jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) writes:

>>We are evaluating Red Ryder 7.0 as an alternative to MacTerminal 1.21.
>>Please could someone tell us how to macput/macget with Red Ryder.
>
>You can't.   macput and macget talk specifically to the macintosh variation
>of xmodem protocol.
>
>Versaterm is supposed to the macintosh style.

VersaTerm does support macput/macget...I've used it.  Does a super VT100, too.
(Insert standard disclaimer here.)

--
"God lives in Eternity...He doesn't have to listen to Two-for-Tuesdays."

Greg Hajek
U. of Chicago           ...ihnp4!gargoyle!oddjob!paluzzi
Laboratory for Astrophysics and Space Research

rec@mplvax.ARPA (Richard Currier) (01/23/86)

In article <338@infsc3.hatpoly.UUCP> comt-ms@infsc3.UUCP (Paul Skuce) writes:

>We are evaluating Red Ryder 7.0 as an alternative to MacTerminal 1.21.
>Please could someone tell us how to macput/macget with Red Ryder.
>		Thank you
>			Paul Skuce

You can't use macput/macget with RR7.0 but you can use Kermit to transfer files
converted with Binhex. I like RR enough to give up the ease of macget/put and
go through the extra Binhex conversion step. I have to admit though that if I
need to transfer a large file and don't have enough room to do the Binhex I
dust off my old copy of Macterminal to do the file transfer and put it back in
its little box right away so it doesn't get too tired.
--

	richard currier		marine physical lab	u.c. san diego
	{ihnp4|decvax|akgua|dcdwest|ucbvax}	!sdcsvax!mplvax!rec

mlevy@uvicctr.UUCP (Michael Levy) (01/27/86)

> In article <338@infsc3.hatpoly.UUCP> comt-ms@infsc3.UUCP (Paul Skuce) writes:
> >
> >We are evaluating Red Ryder 7.0 as an alternative to MacTerminal 1.21.
> >Please could someone tell us how to macput/macget with Red Ryder.
>
> You can't.   macput and macget talk specifically to the macintosh variation
> of xmodem protocol.
You cant use macput and macget, but it is very easy to download
using either Kermit or xmodem. You need a very simple program
to pad the .data and .rsrc files produced by xbin to multiples
of 128 bytes (null padded). Then cat these files with .info
to produce a .bin file.
In other words:   1. pad file.data > tmp1; pad file.rscr > tmp2;
   cat file.info tmp1 tmp2 > file.bin
The .bin file can then be downloaded with xmodtran (xmodem) or
kermit. Red ryder will recognize a binary file and produce a very
nice display showing the progress of the download.
...Michael Levy
   Department of Computer Science
   University of Victoria
   Box 1700, Victoria BC.