[net.micro.mac] Is the Mac+ socketed?

evans@mhuxt.UUCP (crandall) (01/14/86)

A question to anyone who has seen the new Mac + PC boards...

Are the 256ks socketed? If so are the sockets partially filled sockets
(so 1 Megs could be substituted in the future)?

	Steve Crandall
	mhuxt!evans

keith@ssc-vax.UUCP (Keith Nemitz) (01/17/86)

> Are the 256ks socketed? If so are the sockets partially filled sockets
> (so 1 Megs could be substituted in the future)?

	Just saw a mac+ yesterday.  The new ram is surface mounted on
cards that plug into the motherboard.  If you want 4meg, you get new
surface mount boards.  (anybody got a do it yourself surface mounting
machine?)
	To be fair to Apple, these board probably cost less than std
packaging, and now you can really fit 32 ram chips inside the mac without
an extra mother board.  I just hope that heat problems are eased, because
the new mac still aint got a fan.  (besides me)

                                        keith
                                        A9F4

espen@well.UUCP (Peter Espen) (01/20/86)

In article <479@ssc-vax.UUCP>, keith@ssc-vax.UUCP (Keith Nemitz) writes:
> > Are the 256ks socketed? If so are the sockets partially filled sockets
> > (so 1 Megs could be substituted in the future)?
> >

> 	Just saw a mac+ yesterday.  The new ram is surface mounted on
> cards that plug into the motherboard.  If you want 4meg, you get new
> surface mount boards.  (anybody got a do it yourself surface mounting
> machine?)

	Boy, I saw a several MacPlus boards at the MacWorld Expo, and
that is sure not what I saw! All the MacPlus boards I saw had four
rows of 256K ram chips (a total of one meg ram) in oversized sockets
that were ready for the one meg chips when they become economical.
The sockets were soldered directly to the MacPlus motherboard. I did
not see anykind of surface mount boards on the standard MacPlus boards.
	Peter Espen

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (01/21/86)

>           I just hope that heat problems are eased, because
> the new mac still aint got a fan.  (besides me)

Sorry, I can't help myself, I just have to say it:

I don't want a fan in my Mac.  I like it being quiet.  I don't
want a whirrrr driving me up the wall at 3:00am.

(Yes, I know about 'quiet' fans.  Like I said, I don't want ...)

--
E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything.

maddog@tolerant.UUCP (Bill Arnett) (01/21/86)

I don't really care if my mac has a fan or not so long as I can't
hear it in a quiet room at 2AM.  How about some real data on this
subject:  it shouldn't be all that hard for someone to measure the
						       -------
sound output of various fan-equiped macs.
--
  Bill Arnett             		{ucbvax,nsc}!tolerant!maddog
  Tolerant Systems, Inc. San Jose

spector@acf4.UUCP (David HM Spector) (01/22/86)

From playing with quite a few of the at the AppleWorld (Apple's show, not
MacWorld) convention, I can tell you that the Macintosh Plus is as quiet
as its smaller kin, but much faster...

			David Spector
			NYU/acf Systems Group

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (01/23/86)

In article <246@tolerant.UUCP>, maddog@tolerant.UUCP (Bill Arnett) writes:

> I don't really care if my mac has a fan or not so long as I can't
> hear it in a quiet room at 2AM.  How about some real data on this
> subject:  it shouldn't be all that hard for someone to measure the
> 						       -------
> sound output of various fan-equiped macs.

Just remember that the definition of 0 (zero) db is that it is
the level of sound at which a person with normal hearing can
just begin to detect a sound.  This means that for a fan to be
totaly inaudable to a normal ear it must make less than zero db.

This is a tall order.  (Some of us don't work in the kitchen near
the fridge and don't have forced air heat and don't live near a
freeway and don't ... quiet is below zero.)
--

ronc@fai.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) (01/28/86)

>> Are the 256ks socketed? If so are the sockets partially filled sockets
>> (so 1 Megs could be substituted in the future)?
>...The new ram is surface mounted on
>cards that plug into the motherboard.  If you want 4meg, you get new
>surface mount boards.  (anybody got a do it yourself surface mounting
>machine?)
***

Don't know if anyone is *really* interested, but....

I've done surface mounting in an ill-equipped lab.  (Not on a Mac+,
though.)  You can remove the old chip carriers with a heat gun.  You
have to be careful not to fry the board.  There is some kind of white
stuff you can put on the chip that melts at the melting point of
solder, but a little piece of solder works just fine for this.
Get the solder to reflow, then put the board on edge and tap it.
The little suckers just fall off.  Now clean up the board with
wick, apply a little solder paste (available from Kester) to each pad,
apply new chip carriers, then reflow *very carefully* with the
heat gun.  Applying heat whilst putting the new chips on is more
critical than when taking the old ones off.  (More money at stake.)
Double sided boards aren't a problem.  You do one side, turn it
over, do the other side.  The surface tension of the molten solder
will keep the underside parts from falling off.

Anyway, since SMT seems to be the going technique for making things
smaller, we'll all probably have to be experts someday.

			Ron
		Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
		ihnp4!pesnta!fai!ronc

Oliver's law of assumed responsibility:
	"If you are seen fixing it, you will be blamed for breaking it."