[net.micro.mac] macput/macget & Red Ryder problem

allison@convexs.UUCP (01/23/86)

I'm having trouble getting Red Ryder (and Smartcom, for that matter) to do
xmodem file transfer with macput and macget.  Red Ryder's xmodem works fine
on Compuserve, so I assume the problem must be with macput/macget.  Perhaps
I have an old version...the last mod to the macget I have was done on
11/7/84 by "ddj", and the last mod on macput was on 7/31/84, also by "ddj".
If I've got out-of-date versions, and newer ones work with Red Ryder, could
someone mail them to me?

If these programs work with MacTerminal ONLY, would someone mind explaining
why?  If that's the case, it would seem that MacTerminal's xmodem protocol
isn't "standard" xmodem, since Red Ryder's xmodem works with Compuserve.

Brian Allison         {allegra, ihnp4, uiucdcs, ctvax}!convex!allison
Convex Computer Corp.
Richardson, TX

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (01/27/86)

In article <27000013@convexs> allison@convexs.UUCP writes:

>I'm having trouble getting Red Ryder (and Smartcom, for that matter) to do
>xmodem file transfer with macput and macget.  Red Ryder's xmodem works fine
>If these programs work with MacTerminal ONLY, would someone mind explaining
>why?  If that's the case, it would seem that MacTerminal's xmodem protocol
>isn't "standard" xmodem, since Red Ryder's xmodem works with Compuserve.

That's the case.  MacTerminal's xmodem ( when in the mac-to-mac mode) is
non-standard. MacPut/MacGet were written to work with that form of xmodem.

Red Ryder opted for the MacBinary mode of transferring the two forks over
MacTerminal's mode.  MacBinary has the advantage that it works with standard
xmodem, or kermit, while MacTerminal's method required a variation.

Red Ryder and MacBinary are newer than MacTerminal and macput/get, and
MacBinary, which requires an eight bit data path, is not considered
acceptable for Usenet binary file transfers.

Now that MacBinary will be more standard (MacTerminal2.0 includes it)
a binhex to MacBinary conversion program may come along soon.
--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

bart@reed.UUCP (Bart Massey) (01/28/86)

> ..MacBinary, which requires an eight bit data path, is not considered
> acceptable for Usenet binary file transfers.
> --
>  Jim Budler

Neither is macput/macget format, of course.  Now here's a question for you.
Could I use BinHex5.0 on a mac file, download it to a Vax using vanilla
xmodem, then use a vanilla XModem on the file on the Vax and
RedRyder in MacBinary on the Mac to upload it to the Mac, ending with a
perfect copy of my entire application?  If not, what good is BinHex50?

				Bart Massey
				..tektronix!reed!bart

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (01/30/86)

In article <2384@reed.UUCP> bart@reed.UUCP (Bart Massey) writes:
>					...  Now here's a question for you.
>Could I use BinHex5.0 on a mac file, download it to a Vax using vanilla
>xmodem, then use a vanilla XModem on the file on the Vax and
>RedRyder in MacBinary on the Mac to upload it to the Mac, ending with a
>perfect copy of my entire application?  If not, what good is BinHex50?
>
>				Bart Massey
>				..tektronix!reed!bart

Yes.