[net.micro.mac] Pinouts for Mac +

dennisg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Dennis Griesser) (01/30/86)

In a previous submission, I griped about the use of DIN plugs instead
of 9-pin D connectors on the Mac+.  Several astute netters pointed
out that Apple gives you a free converter, and you can buy more.

Sorry, but it still doesn't make me happy.  It's mostly the principle
of the thing:  changing connector types and/or pinouts mid-stream
is an unfriendly thing to do.  Fixing things up requires an adapter
which, depending how you build it, is a blob sitting on the back of your
computer or a short cable with connectors on each end.  Eather way makes
your brand-new Mac+ look like a kludge.  It also clutters things up
in back.

The new connector is not electrically identical either.  It lacks +5 volts,
according to some reports.  Granted, it was not current-limited and
SOME interfaces were abusing it.  Taking it away makes any interface
requiring +5, even well-behaved ones, useless.  Why not just add
current limiting?

But +12 volts IS present.  How long will it take until somebody decides
to slap a 3-terminal regulator on that to make +5?  Sleazy, yes.  Some
body will do it.  Hmmm...  Is the +12 current-limited?

And then there's mechanical support.  The DB-9 made a handy place to
bolt things, like a SMALL box with the interface and a cable to the
world (Assimilation MIDI comes to mind).  Now that sucker has to dangle
at the end of the adapter.

Anybody out there looking for a product?  "Mac Bulkhead" - DIN plugs
connected to DB-9s.  Two to a unit, in a THIN box to sit under MAC.
Contains +5-volt power supply, and maybe a heftier +12.  List price
should be just a bit less than $60, 'cause two APPLE adapters cost
that much (I know you get one free with the upgrade).

Did I say free?  That "free" adapter is included in the cost of the
upgrade.  Do YOU believe in Santa Clause?

And it was all done to get space for the SCSI port connector.  Is there
no place else on the case this could go?

Flame off...

I LIKE the Mac.  I bought the Mac.  The port business still sounds
hokey!  Will I upgrade?  Hmmm...

Did they change the mouse connector too???
--
[Standard disclaimers apply.]

joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) (01/31/86)

In article <2600@sdcrdcf.UUCP>, dennisg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Dennis Griesser) writes:
> In a previous submission, I griped about the use of DIN plugs instead
> of 9-pin D connectors on the Mac+.
> 					It's mostly the principle
> of the thing:  changing connector types and/or pinouts mid-stream
> is an unfriendly thing to do.

I agree 100%.

> Anybody out there looking for a product?  "Mac Bulkhead" - DIN plugs
> connected to DB-9s.  Two to a unit, in a THIN box to sit under MAC.
> Contains +5-volt power supply, and maybe a heftier +12.  List price
> should be just a bit less than $60, 'cause two APPLE adapters cost
> that much (I know you get one free with the upgrade).

Someone is making one.  MacNifty?  I'm not sure.

> And it was all done to get space for the SCSI port connector.  Is there
> no place else on the case this could go?

They ran out of width on the main logic board.  As I understand it,
the option I wanted to see -- offset the SCSI up about an inch -- would
have added a significant fabrication cost, increasing complexity and
decreasing physical reliability.