[net.micro.mac] Processing Speed?

ths@eyelab.UUCP (Tom Speeter) (01/24/86)

    One of the assumptions I made before purchasing the Mac
was that the 68000 could whiz through numerical calculations
and impress my friends with its speed.  Even pardoning
the disk drives' lethargy, I'm a little disappointed by
its CPU intensive operations as well.  I've downloaded some 'C'
programs from a PDP 11/44 and observed the differences in
processing speed.  What a difference!!
    The programs are primarily matrix manipulations using
double precision arrays.  The PDP runs a representitive
program in 75 seconds, the Mac takes 4000 seconds (thats over
an hour!!).  I used Aztec C's 1.00D compiler, purportedly one
of the faster version of 'C' for the Mac (I'd hate to use a
slower one).  At least the code was portable, didn't have to
change a line!
    Now I realize that the 11/44 has floating point hardware
and is in an entirely different class, but a 50 fold decrease in
speed is a little hard to believe.  With the recent revelation
of the Mac+ and its orientation toward increased size and not
speed I think Apple may be forgetting those of us who want to
crunch, not expand.
    Any comments about this, or suggestions for speeding
things up?  I see an occasional posting about the faster 68???
chip and boards from outside vendors, but whats Apple doing
for people (I know you're out there) who want floating point
speed, and not room for the entire collection of 1985 tax forms?

                             Tom Speeter
                                (cwruecmp!eyelab!ths)

breuel@h-sc1.UUCP (thomas breuel) (01/29/86)

|    One of the assumptions I made before purchasing the Mac
|was that the 68000 could whiz through numerical calculations
|and impress my friends with its speed.  Even pardoning
[...]
|    The programs are primarily matrix manipulations using
|double precision arrays.  The PDP runs a representitive
|program in 75 seconds, the Mac takes 4000 seconds (thats over
|an hour!!).  I used Aztec C's 1.00D compiler, purportedly one
|of the faster version of 'C' for the Mac (I'd hate to use a
|slower one).  At least the code was portable, didn't have to
|change a line!
|    Now I realize that the 11/44 has floating point hardware
|and is in an entirely different class, but a 50 fold decrease in
|speed is a little hard to believe.  With the recent revelation

First of all, for certain applications, a PDP-11/44 seems to be
comparable to a VAX 11/750. The problem with the PDP series is not
speed (it seems), but rather the limited address space.

I do not see why you are not willing to accept that FP hardware
can give you a 50 fold performance increase over software floating
point. The easiest way to answer your question about relative performance
might be to use software floating point on your PDP as well, or
to compare the two machines in integer math. They'll probably perform
about equally well. Also note that Aztec 'C' *might* be using 80 bit
FP ('SANE') everywhere (as compared to 32bit floats and 64bit doubles on
the PDP). I don't know; that is something you should check before
comparing the two. Finally, your compiler for the PDP might be vastly
superior to the Aztec compiler. The Aztec compiler is a decent product
from what I hear, but the UN*X PDP-11 'cc' (and probably the DEC 'C' compiler,
judging from the quality of they VAX-11 'C' compiler) is quite good
at optimisation.

Now, since your primary concern is obviously to get your calculations
done and not to make the Mac look bad, there are several possible
solutions: (1) use integer math (yes, I know that it takes more thought
and work, but it runs soooo much faster), (2) get an FP co-processor for
the Mac, (3) get a different machine.

Personally, I try to do any numerical calculations that I have to do (even
DEQ's &c.) with integer math. I care much more about lots of memory than
about FP speed...

						Thomas.

gus@Shasta.ARPA (01/30/86)

>     Now I realize that the 11/44 has floating point hardware
> and is in an entirely different class, but a 50 fold decrease in
> speed is a little hard to believe.  With the recent revelation
> of the Mac+ and its orientation toward increased size and not
> speed I think Apple may be forgetting those of us who want to
> crunch, not expand.

This is not at all unreasonable considering the double overhead of software
floating point and a trap interface vs direct fp hardware calls inline. I
hear
that Levco's Monster Mac has a 68881 buit-in and that Consulair is writing
a compiler that will directly support it. Do your benchmarks on that puppy!

Actually, a much better comparison might be to use a 16 or 32 bit integer
problem. In this case, the Mac should do a lot better.

Also, you might want to compare the accuracy you got with the PDP11 vs that
of the Mac. Nobody claimed that SANE or any other software floating point
was fast, but Apple does boast its accuracy.

sjl@amdahl.UUCP (Steve Langdon) (02/01/86)

In article <106@eyelab.UUCP> ths@eyelab.UUCP (Tom Speeter) writes:

>     One of the assumptions I made before purchasing the Mac
> was that the 68000 could whiz through numerical calculations
> and impress my friends with its speed.

Then he quotes figures showing that the Mac ran some floating point
programs 50 times slower than a PDP 11/44.

One answer is Mac C from Consulair customized for the Quesse Maccelerator.
The Maccelerator is an add on board based on a National 32081 Floating
point chip running at 10 Mhz.  It uses the clip style connector so no
surgery to the Mac is required (an installation kit is included with the
board).  The customized version of Mac C generates all the necessary code
to interface with the Maccelerator (replacing the normal calls to SANE).

The Mac C/Maccelerator package is $995. The board plus a function library
and some assembler macros can be purchased without the compiler for $665.
A couple of performance comparisons are:

	70K Whetsones (5K for SANE)
	1024 point DP complex FFT 5.6 seconds (88 seconds using SANE)

Consulair can be reached at (415)851-3272
Quesse Computer Company reached at (206)392-7701

I have no connection with either company other than being a satisfied
customer of Consulair (who also have versions of Mac C that use the
floating point on the Hyperdrive 2000 and the Levco 68020/68881 boards).
--
Stephen J. Langdon                  ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,hplabs,sun}!amdahl!sjl

[ The article above is not an official statement from any organization
  in the known universe. ]