[net.micro.mac] Lights in the disk drives

lsr@apple.UUCP (Larry Rosenstein) (02/01/86)

In article <425@mmm.UUCP> mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (Michael Ross) writes:

>Then how come my Sony disks work? The write-protect mechanism on those
>diskettes doesn't include a hole going through the diskette - there is a
>small tab that can be moved back and forth, but you can't see through the
>diskette in either mode.

In the old disk drives, the red lights do not actiually shine through the
diskettes.  There is a small arm that is pushed down when the disk is write
enabled; this arm blocks an LED.  (There are 2 such mechanisms; the one on
the left detects the state of the write protect tab, and the one on the
right detects whether or not a disk is inserted.)

On the new drives (at least the ones I have seen), this mechanism has been
replaced by a microswitch, which means there are no LEDs at all.

--
Larry Rosenstein
Apple Computer

UUCP:  {voder, nsc, ios, mtxinu, dual}!apple!lsr
CSNET: lsr@Apple.CSNET