[net.micro.mac] Deluxe Music Construction Set

keith@ssc-vax.UUCP (Keith Nemitz) (10/21/85)

   This is a capsule software review.  I just bought DMCS.
Now a lot of people would question my musical talent/proficiency, but after
using/playing with Electronic Arts new music program for the mac I'm ready
to hire myself an agent.

   Now most of you have already seen their glossy add showing sheet music
that was printed using the laserprinter.  Their add says DMSC can do everything,
it can.  But I want to talk about a couple things I didn't expect.

   First of all they rewrote the mac's sound routines (love to get my hands on
that source)!  While mac will never sound as good as amiga a piano sounds like
a piano.  It sounds best piped to my stereo.

   Second of all it's copy protected, and Copy II mac 4.2 didn't budge it.
You can make supposed back-ups that check the master when launched, but I don't
call it a back-up until it runs when the master has been roasted over a slow
fire.  Because of their frigging copy protection I had to do some real injunyous
machinations to get some use of the program with a single disk-drive.  First
I make a 'back-up' and killed everything but the program and the piano envelope.Next I added one part RamStart (awesome) to skinny System file and Finder.  WhenI feeling like playing Mozart, I have to do the following:

     Boot ramdisk with DMCS, system, finder, piano for about 300K worth.
     Plug-in Master disk (yes before running DMCS, program will crash if it
         doesn't find the master upon launch).
     Launch DMCS.
     Eject master.
     Plug in a disk for my work files and finally have some fun.

In summary, the program is great.  The copy protection sucks.  I paid $37 for
it and I'd like to get my money back.  I refuse to listen to anit-pirate
sob stories.

                                          keith

"...
They showed you a statue
And told you to pray.
They built you a temple
And locked you away.
..."

riddle@emory.UUCP (Larry Riddle) (01/13/86)

I recently saw an ad in the Jan 86 issue of Macworld for the Deluxe
Music Construction Set from Electronic Arts.  They claim that their
program is much better than Hayden's MusicWorks, allowing for many
more features such as multiple time and key signatures in one song
(as just one example).

I would be very interested in hearing comments from anyone who has
used this software.  In particular, I am interested in being able
to write just one staff at a time so that I can print out individual
parts from a score.  In this possible with the Deluxe software?
--
Larry Riddle
Emory University

{akgua,sb1,gatech,decvax}!emory!riddle   USENET
riddle@emory                      CSNET
riddle.emory@csnet-relay          ARPANET

hen@bu-cs.UUCP (Bill Henneman) (01/15/86)

I've played around with DMCS for 3 months.  It is *much* better than
Hayden Music Works.  It gives the user a great deal of control over the
appearance of the printed score (you can specify how much white space to
leave above and below each individual staff).

Its scoring capabilities are sufficient for my needs (making study
versions of pieces, producing organ tablature from voice parts).  It
supports tenor and alto clef along with treble and bass, beaming, and
some ornamentation figures.

The only thing I can say against it is that it has strange error states.
At the risk of sounding paranoid, my experience has been that it is
biased against all German composers predating J. S. Bach: it especially
hates M. Praetorius.  I spent one entire weekend trying to get one of
his choral fantasias entered: on the sixth try, I saved after entering
every measure, and still had to reboot 4 times.

Hope this helps.
			Bill Henneman
			Boston U

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (01/16/86)

>I recently saw an ad in the Jan 86 issue of Macworld for the Deluxe
>Music Construction Set from Electronic Arts.  They claim that their
>program is much better than Hayden's MusicWorks, allowing for many
>more features such as multiple time and key signatures in one song
>(as just one example).
>
>I would be very interested in hearing comments from anyone who has
>used this software.  In particular, I am interested in being able
>to write just one staff at a time so that I can print out individual
>parts from a score.  In this possible with the Deluxe software?
Last part first: Yes.  I have transcribed about 20 minutes of orchestra
score into violin and piano form, and then cut the Vn part into a new
score for the violinist.  You don't have to write one staff at a time,
though, so long as the parts you want separately are on separate staves.

Overall, the Deluxe Music Construction Set is a fine concept, but has
annoying bugs and design flaws (sometimes it is hard to tell one from
t'other). The most annoying thing is their protection scheme.  I like
to lock my master disks, which is usually OK, when the program on the
copy disk asks you to insert the master. But DMCS requires you to have
the master IN A DRIVE. I have only one drive!!!  Any orthodox copy simply
bombs!  Also, they advertise that it runs on a 128k Mac, which I have
at home, but after I entered 2 bars and played them twice, the machine
simply locked up (just after I "verified" that I had 12k free memory).

I shouldn't sound too negative.  The program would be worth three times
the price, and I did get my transcriptions done quite quickly after I
discovered various work-arounds and tricks.  The printouts are quite
useable, unlike Concertware+ (perhaps later versions of Concertware
have improved). But it doesn't have an instrument-maker, and the selection
of available instruments is not very varied (except for a few wierdos).
You can, however, change the playing style of an instrument in (usually)
10 ways, note by note, which compensates somewhat for the lack of variety
in the instruments themselves.

Good things:  The mouse-driven piano keyboard for entry of either single
notes or chords of up to (I think) 8 notes in each voice (but be careful
to ensure you know which mode you are in); the ability to move notes on
the score both vertically and laterally, and to add notes to a chord just
by dropping them where you want them; lots of other things that add up to
a reasonably good interface, but ...

Bad things: Too many modes (not musical modes).  If you are in dotted mode,
all notes come with dots, and it is a nuisance to get rid of the dots.
Also, sometimes it takes one click on an icon to get rid of a mode, sometimes
two clicks.  If you get it wrong (there is a visual check to show which
is the right way), you are back in the mode that you thought you turned
off, and putting in all sorts of garbage music.  The use of the editor
and the insertion point is unlike that of other Mac programs, and
unnecessarily so.  After you paste in a section of music, for example,
That music is NOT selected for possible modification, and the insertion
point may be nowhere in the vicinity.  After you enter a note or a chord,
it is selected and can be deleted by the normal backspace, but you can't
backspace from the insertion point to delete other notes, as you can in
most Mac programs.  That is a most annoying feature.  To set the insertion
point, apparently some things move it and some don't, but even after
30-40 hours of work I haven't got straight what will and what won't, and
I have got into the habit of always going to the arrow cursor (which
gets turned off by changing the time duration of your note input) and
pointing to the place you want.  I would hate to count how many times
I have thought the insertion point was some place my Mac intuition led
me to expect, only to discover my notes were not going in -- now where
are they?  How can I find them and restore the damaged part of the music?
Sometimes they don't go anywhere, as if the insertion point doesn't exist
(after fixing an error in a chord, for example), sometimes they go
wherever you were last working.

DMCS is basically so good, it is terribly frustrating to be kept from
using it as it should be used by bugs of this kind.  And real bugs can
be very distressing, too.  DMCS allows two rhythmic tracks per staff,
which is nice, but I have found NO WAY to discover which track a given
note belongs to, other than trying to add another note to make it a chord,
which is a real pain.  Also, I had a piece written in the mode that has
only one track per staff.  After saving it and coming back to work on it
later, IT WAS ALL IN THE OTHER TRACK and I couldn't select or edit
individual parts.  It seemed (some of it) to flip tracks when I played
it, so I could select parts.  When I cut and pasted the music, it came
back in the useable track! GRRRR.

OK. A long, mixed review.  Summary comment: Buy it, if you can tolerate
a long learning period with multiple frustrations.  It will repay you.
--

Martin Taylor
{allegra,linus,ihnp4,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (01/18/86)

In article <1768@dciem.UUCP> mmt@dciem.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:
>Good things:  The mouse-driven piano keyboard for entry of either single
>notes or chords of up to (I think) 8 notes in each voice (but be careful
>to ensure you know which mode you are in);

Eight sounds right; however, if you're playing the music through the Mac
(and not a synthisizer via the MIDI interface), you can only have four of
the notes played -- DMCS can play only four notes at any vertical position
on the staff.

I believe mmt@dciem pretty much said it for me.  Some annoying bugs, but the
best thing out there for the Mac and for the money ($49!  Amazing value).
Also, as someone who has MusicWorks, I can confirm that Deluxe Music
Construction Set is head and shoulders over MusicWorks.  I was able to get
almost any piece of music I tried into DMCS (sometimes with a little
finicking) on a 512K Mac; There is a great deal that just will not go into
MusicWorks.

                                "Today, my jurisdiction ends here."

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
ARPA: fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP: {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty

keith@ssc-vax.UUCP (Keith Nemitz) (01/20/86)

> I've played around with DMCS for 3 months.  It is *much* better than

Does ANYONE have the conversion utility that Electronic Arts advertised
to convert MusicWorks files to DMCS format?

  I have a ton of MusicWorks songs but I never bought the Application.  I
heard that DMCS does the conversion automatically, but everything I tried
failed.  I would really love to see this utilty posted.  Any offerers?

                                        thanks,

                                        keith
                                        A9F4

dtw@k.cs.cmu.edu (Duane Williams) (02/03/86)

.
Electronic Arts' Deluxe Music Construction Set has received good reviews in
Mac magazines, in part because it is relatively inexpensive--$50 retail.
Potential buyers who only have a 128K Mac should be warned about this
program.

The reviewers and the program's documentation claim that DMCS will run on a
128K Mac.  In a sense this is true: it boots on a small Mac and a couple of
the small demos that come with the program can be played.  Unfortunately,
the program is nearly useless on a small Mac.  Entering notes is an
extremely slow process, with delays up to 30 seconds per note!  Attempting
to play a score without first saving it to disk is almost certain to cause
it to be lost.  Some very short scores can cause the program to run out of
memory and crash the Mac.  I entered the first five measures of the "Vision
Fugitive XVI" by Prokofiev that appeared in the Feb. issue of Keyboard,
saved the score, and then played it.  The program ran out of memory,
although the "Memory Usage" window showed over 26K free prior to playing the
measures.  I cannot load those five measures and play them without a bomb.
--
uucp: ..!seismo!cmu-cs-k!dtw
arpa: dtw@k.cs.cmu.edu