[net.micro.mac] Failing analog boards

vantreeck@logic.DEC (01/27/86)

A suggestion to those of you who have experienced repeated failures of the
analog board in your Mac: The failures may not be due a problem with the
analog board. It could be that the analog boards are being damaged by a
marginal power supply. Therefore, repeated replacements of the analog boards
might be treating the symptom rather than the cause.

If it happens again, try replacing both the analog board and the power supply.

						George Van Treeck
						RHEA::DECWRL::LOGIC::VANTREECK

bill@crystal.UUCP (01/29/86)

In article <746@decwrl.DEC.COM>, vantreeck@logic.DEC writes:

> If it happens again, try replacing both the analog board and the power supply.

I may be confused, but I thought that the analog board contained the power
supply as well.  The battery and the AC connection are at the back of the
analog board.

--
	William Cox
	Computer Sciences Department

briand@tekig4.UUCP (Brian Diehm) (01/29/86)

>If it happens again, try replacing both the analog board and the power supply.

Isn't SOMEONE going to flame that this should've been posted to net.jokes?

-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc.

vantreeck@logic.DEC (02/03/86)

>If it happens again, try replacing both that analog board and the power supply.

What I was trying to say is that the video circuitry is probably being damaged
by the power supply. I'm told by technicians that service a lot terminals that
this was once a common problem with some older models of low-end terminals. I
was told this when three video boards had to be replaced in my terminal, before
a technician recognized the problem, swapped power supplies, resulting in no
more blown video boards.

True, both power supply and video are on the same board on a Mac, and both are
swapped at the same time. I was unaware of that. Perhaps both being swapped at
the same time with the same problem recurring may imply a more serious problem
than an occasional case of a power supply gone bad?

ragge@duvan.UUCP (02/04/86)

In article <479@tekig4.UUCP> briand@tekig4Diehm.UUCP (Brian Diehm) writes:
>>If it happens again, try replacing both the analog board and the power supply.
>
>Isn't SOMEONE going to flame that this should've been posted to net.jokes?
>
>-Brian Diehm
>Tektronix, Inc.

You just did! (and I agree)

--
---
Ragnar Sundblad, NADA, KTH      UUCP: {seismo,mcvax}!enea!ttds!duvan!ragge