[net.micro.mac] HFS/Standard File Manager question

mkg@lzaz.UUCP (Marsh Gosnell) (01/24/86)

I want to coerce the SF Manager to display relative to an arbitrary
HFS folder.  I thought setvol would work but I discovered that
Megamax perverts a SetVol into a PBSetVol call.  According to the
HFS File Manager, PBSetVol sets the root folder as the default directory.
I tried calling PBHSetVol passing NULL as the name, and the appropriate
ioVReFnum and ioWDDirId but it doesn't change the SF manager display.
The folder display is still relative to the last folder in which I opened
a file using SFGetFile.

Any ideas???
   Marsh Gosnell   ihnp4!lzma!mkg

gross@watdcsu.UUCP (Evan Gross [Sys Des]) (01/28/86)

I'm not sure about what happens with HFS, since I don't have the docs
yet, but with MFS, the standard file stuff saved the index of the volume
to put up the next time it was opened in a low memory global called Filer3A
at $214 (or real close to there). I used this in the DiskTools accessory
of BatteryPak so that if you wanted drive information it would first
show the drive that the standard file box was positioned to. I imagine
that changing that global would have convinced standard file what volume
to display, although I never tried it. Hope that helps (let me know if it
works!)

Evan Gross

berry@tolerant.UUCP (David Berry) (01/31/86)

> I'm not sure about what happens with HFS, since I don't have the docs
> yet, but with MFS, the standard file stuff saved the index of the volume
> to put up the next time it was opened in a low memory global called Filer3A
> at $214 (or real close to there). I used this in the DiskTools accessory
> of BatteryPak so that if you wanted drive information it would first
> show the drive that the standard file box was positioned to. I imagine
> that changing that global would have convinced standard file what volume
> to display, although I never tried it. Hope that helps (let me know if it
> works!)
>
> Evan Gross

	Under MFS, setting $214 to some volume reference number will indeed
change where the Standard File dialog starts it's work.
--

	David W. Berry
	{ucbvax,pyramid,idsvax,bene,oliveb}!tolerant!berry

	I'm only here for the beer.

olson@harvard.UUCP (02/04/86)

In article <262@tolerant.UUCP> berry@tolerant.UUCP (David Berry) writes:

>	Under MFS, setting $214 to some volume reference number will indeed
>change where the Standard File dialog starts it's work.
>--

This location has changed before, and could, presumably, change again.
Since SF is a PACK, its pretty easy to change, but then again, what
would it change to?  Beware lo-mem globals!

Your guess is as good as mine.

-Eric

mkg@lzaz.UUCP (Marsh Gosnell) (02/04/86)

Several people suggested that I put the iovrefnum in $214 to change
what the SF manager displays.  It does work BUT you are left at the
root folder of the volume even if you put a WDRefNum there.  I wanted
the folder display to be relative to the specific directory described
by the iovrefnum rather than the root of the volume that contains it.
   Marsh Gosnell  ihnp4!lzma!mkg