[net.micro.mac] Macintosh advertising - blue screen

steves@kepler.UUCP (Steve Schlich) (01/31/86)

I have what may be a silly question...why is it that in all print
advertising depicting a Mac (including Apple's own) the screen has a
*BLUE* tint?  No matter how long I stare at my Mac screen, I do not
see blue.

Is this an intentional effect to make the screen stand out better?
   ...  an unavoidable function of printing?
   ...  an IBM conspiracy?
--

One town looks very like another /
with your head down over your pieces, brother.

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (01/31/86)

Most black & white monitors (including B&W TV sets) actually emit much
more light at the blue end of the spectrum than at the red end.  You can
usually see this by holding a white card up next to the display (with
the card illuminated by DAYLIGHT (tungsten light will make it look even
bluer)).  The display looks significantly bluer (or "colder") than the
card (or, alternatively, the card looks "warmer" than the display).
Film is much more sensitive to the excess blue energy than is the
human eye, thus color photographs of a B&W CRT tend to look blue.

--
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (Michael Ross) (02/05/86)

In article <474@kepler.UUCP> steves@kepler.UUCP (Steve Schlich) writes:
>I have what may be a silly question...why is it that in all print
>advertising depicting a Mac (including Apple's own) the screen has a
>*BLUE* tint?  No matter how long I stare at my Mac screen, I do not
>see blue.
>
>            Steve Schlich, MicroPro Product Development
>{dual,hplabs,glacier,lll-crg}!well!micropro!kepler!steves

	Actually, it IS blue, but your brain compensates because you
know it's really supposed to be white. On color film it registers even
bluer, for several having to do with film sensitivity, length of exposure,
etc. There are methods of photographing the screen to compensate for
this blueness - Apple's Software Evangelist Guy Kawasaki even went out
of his way to mention this problem during a seminar I attended shortly
after the Mac was released, urging future advertisers to avoid this in
their ads because they wanted to give the image of a white piece of paper.

	Also - ever looked into a room where someone is watching b&w
TV with all the rest of the lights out? Looks blue, doesn't it. Same reasons.

	--MKR